Existing Member?

Mid Life Crisis - Kilimanjaro 2015 Challenger both Body and Mind

Pushing body and mind past what I thought was the limit – Kilimanjaro Blog

TANZANIA | Tuesday, 16 June 2015 | Views [1127]

Even punctures can't stop me :-)

Even punctures can't stop me :-)

Friday night and I was deliberating over whether to go cycling with Stuart and James on Saturday morning or not. I couldn’t really be bothered. My sister in law Karen asked if I wanted dinner, to which I readily accepted as my wife was working. When dinner was served it was a big pasta carb chicken and bacon, ready for cycling.  

So before I knew it I was getting set for a 7am cycle off, in the rain, not sure how that happened

Stuart and James were going for a 70 mile ride. That’s 25 more than I had ever done in one go, so I agreed to go with them for some of it. 20 miles in and I wasn’t feeling it, but some encouragement and a phone call proving that Karen would pick me up when I ran out I steam and we continued, to Salisbury.

40miles, 45 miles, 50 miles passed and I had no idea where we were. I just knew that I was a long, long way from home, near Warminster. Being with people who were supporting me meant I didn’t think about it too much and actually thought about writing this blog.

We pushed on and at 65 miles I saw a sign post for somewhere I knew. Stuart and James had other ideas than taking the short way home however.

I was not thinking that I was 20 miles over the most I had ever ridden.

The support, advice and banter was what kept me going. This is what most of my high growth clients find so valuable, people to support you, encouraging them, helping them do things they wouldn’t think was possible. The same with clients of Cruse Bereavement Care Somerset, who never think they can overcome the grief they are experiencing.

At 83 miles I met my nemesis, the hill I hate so so much, not because it’s the steepest or the highest, but because it always comes at the end of a ride. Stuart and James were gone over the top. I was nearly getting off the bike. I didn’t have a lot left, I nearly stopped. Then I thought to myself, would I stop at Stella point on Kilimanjaro rather than push myself onto Uhuru peak.

I was going to get home, even though it was 8 hours since we left. I did ask Stuart and James for some support and motivational comments to help me make it home. Most are not printable here, but a lot focussed on a Chinese takeaway and a celebratory beer, which was the reward I was promising myself.

92.3 miles, 5,305 ft of climbing, 7.5 hours cycling and 5,131 calories burnt, but I got home.

Did I ever think I could do twice the distance I had previously managed in one go? No I most certainly did not!

 

It is amazing to explore where your limits actually are, and the only thing stopping you finding out, is you.

On the plus side sponsorship has made 57%, £2890.

If you have been meaning to support my efforts and help Cruse Bereavement Care Somerset, please sponsor me  https://www.justgiving.com/Tony-Mattravers/.

Tags: challenge, charity, frustration, fundraising, hard work, hiking, killimanjaro, mid life crise, panic, summit

About tony_mattravers


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.