Existing Member?

Mid Life Crisis - Kilimanjaro 2015 Challenger both Body and Mind

Being on the front foot – Kilimanjaro Blog

TANZANIA | Tuesday, 5 May 2015 | Views [447]

Last blog I talked about how much I learnt on the Kilimanjaro prep weekend, run by a client of mine Dave Stewart, of The Fresh Air Learning Company. I learnt so much from this professional weekend and one thing in particular has struck deeper with me than just preparing for Kili.

Both Dave Stewart and Dominic Rudd (our leaders for the preparation weekend) were ex-military and experienced mountain leaders and it showed. Preparation, preparation, preparation.

Dave put the itinerary up for Sunday morning and briefed us, it went along the lines of

“We will get up in the small hours of Sunday morning (02:30), have a first breakfast and get organised for our dark through- dawn ascent of Pen y Fan (886m), our Kilimanjaro for the weekend (03:45)

Setting off in the dark, our head-torches showing us the way, we will ascend one of the mountain’s northern spurs to crest a slope above a beautiful mountain lake just as first light arrives.

After a short break to take in the emerging view and sip a hot drink we will climb up to the subordinate top of Corn Du (873m) (think Stella Point 5685m), and then onto Pen y Fan itself (886m) (think Uhuru Peak 5895m). (06:00)”

Dominic went through being on the front foot with everything and how it makes everything so much easier without the faffing. Every example he gave resonated with me, but I couldn’t help relating it to work, andhome as well as to this mountain prep. 

So I was first to head out of to the tent to bed, first to pack my bag, first to put my clothes out in the order I was going to put them on. I woke up in control, focussed and was eating the fry up I smugly cooked before the 02:30 alarm call. Heck I was so on the front foot I even cooked one for Dave Stewart!

This has made me more determined to be on the front foot in life. Not hiding behind the fact that it is hard with so much going on at home, with family, work, training and fundraising, but realising that life is easier when you are more prepared.

With a busy bank holiday weekend planned, being prepared meant I managed to get out for a hike earlier without faffing, that the dinner I was cooking on Saturday was all prepared by 5pm. Meaning that when my guests came I could enjoying the evening and be more relaxed. 

This demonstrates itself with a lot of the conversations I have with my clients, helping them plan for the future, planning their growth and how they are going to get there. Ultimately helping them get on the front foot and realising it is easier when they are prepared.

Sponsorship stands at £2231. THANK YOU to all who have sponsored me, I can’t wait to make it over the £2500 and 50% of my total target, so if you have been meaning to sponsor me, please jump on the front foot via  https://www.justgiving.com/Tony-Mattravers/.

If there is anyone you think I should be speaking to about sponsorship or publicity opportunities, please let me know.

Thank You

Tags: challenge, charity, frustration, fundraising, hard work, hiking, killimanjaro, mid life crise, panic, summit

About tony_mattravers


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.