Existing Member?

Mid Life Crisis - Kilimanjaro 2015 Challenger both Body and Mind

Taking time to see what is around you? – Kilimanjaro Blog

TANZANIA | Tuesday, 21 April 2015 | Views [642]

The news on my friend, brother in law and personal cycling trainer is that he dislocated his shoulder, collar bone and broke a bone in his elbow, so is currently off his bike.

 

Not to let this stop me, I got out for some great training over the weekend, walking and on my bike, although it is definitely not as much fun when you are on your own and like business coaching, I missed having someone to push me along.

 

I went for a big hike three times up a local hill I regularly cycle up, called Beacon Hill. I have walked it before, but never on my own (?) nor have I taken time to have a proper look at what was around me.

 

Yep, you have got it right, that little red light is the beacon in the photo. I never had the time to notice it before, which  made me wonder what else I have missed. This is also the advantage of having external support, in all walks of life

 

Sometimes you just need to take time out to see what is around you! Somerset Area Cruse Bereavement Care is another example. A lot of people I talk to do not know there is support available after the death of someone close, they don’t know that face-to-face and group support is delivered by trained bereavement support volunteers across the UK, offering information, publications, and support for children.

Reading the case study on Cruse Bereavement Care’s website, by Kirsty Holmes proved this. “I lost my Dad after he had gone into hospital to have an operation and he never came home. I didn’t get in touch with Cruse until several months after he had died.

I was put in touch with a lady called Hillary, who is one of the most important people I have known, and helped me to understand my grief, and, in a way, she helped save my life, by allowing me to be “me” again.

I could say anything to Hillary, tell her anything and everything about how I felt, however silly it seemed. I didn’t need to protect her feelings in the same way I felt I did with my friends – I could speak openly and honestly about my pain and anger, about how much it hurt and how much I missed him. Cruse and Hillary helped me through the most difficult period of my life and I will always be grateful and thankful for the support I had during that time”

Sponsorship has risen to £1971, THANK YOU to all who have sponsored me, it is being put to immediate use helping people dealing with bereavement.

 

If you haven’t yet had time to sponsor me and would like to, please go to https://www.justgiving.com/Tony-Mattravers/. And of course, please feel free to share this link with your networks too!

 

Thank You

Tags: challenge, charity, frustration, hard work, killimanjaro, mid life crise, panic, panic, summit, trekking

About tony_mattravers


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.