Existing Member?

So... What Are You Waiting For? Carpe Diem - Live the Dream

Here's to 2011

UNITED KINGDOM | Saturday, 31 December 2011 | Views [587]

As we draw to the end of one year into the next, I always like to put aside some time to put my feet up with a cuppa (always time for that) and reflect on the 365 days that have come and gone. I just wanted to re-cap the year that's been and share my appreciation for what has been the best year of my life!! Here's four reasons why:

  • Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt

My new years resolution this year was to travel the world – stoked I can give that one a big fat tick on the ol’ bucket list! This year alone I’ve travelled to 16 countries which have given me the most unforgettable memories and experiences anyone could ever have. I know in Lani terms this is just a page in a book of travels that are yet to come, but that’s not bad for the space of one year right? I’ve met some inspiring people during my travels, made some life-long friends, and best of all I’ve managed to reconnect with my loved ones and get to know Tom’s family in England.

  • NZ won the Rugby World Cup

Probably one of the proudest moments of my life to date, I have to say. I’ll never forget the day we defeated France 8–7, oh the joy!! I have never really considered myself patriot, but ever since the RWC I have a newfound sense of national pride that brings me so much closer to the place I call home. Tom and I still have our All Blacks flag hanging in the living room window…What’s better than winning the world cup though?? Seeing Australia loose. BOOM!

  • 3 Years

August 28th 2011 marked the three year anniversary with my most favourite person in the world; Tom. It seems like just yesterday we were experiencing our first fleeting moments and here we are three years down the track, still as mad for each other as the very first time we met. Sure, its not all happy families EVERY single moment, no ones perfect, but we’ve definitely learnt this year to accept each others flaws, weaknesses and shortcomings and take all the highs and lows in our stride. I’m so blessed he’s chosen me to share his life and as much as I’d like to say I don’t take that for granted, I do, so here’s to another 3 years (hopefully much more). I love you so much Tom – you are my rock!

  • A new perspective 

People are so often thankful to see the end of one year and the beginning of another, but 2011 has treated me great so I’m pretty bummed to see the end of it. I guess I’ll just have a lot more to celebrate midnight tonight! As with any year there’s been highs and lows, but I’ve found since living in England I’ve gained a whole new perspective on the place I call home. I honestly believe I wouldn’t have gained this appreciation for home had I not have lived here. Let me just say, this goes beyond ‘missing home’. As I have discovered, there is simply NO place in the world quite like New Zealand and I promise I’ll never look at it the same way again - I can’t wait to get back there.

 

So that’s about all I’m going to cover for now - I’m off to get ready for my NYE celebrations at Tom’s cousins place. I hope that wherever you are in the world right now you too are grateful for the year that’s been and you celebrate accordingly whichever way you will. I’m amping to see what 2012 brings, the start of a new year always gets me going. There’s so much to look forward to already – coming back to New Zealand, a new beginning, a new job, car, house, my best friends nuptials ..the list goes on. I’ll leave you with some of the new years resolutions I’ve set myself for this year. Hopefully I’m as successful nest year as I was this year!!

  • Get a teaching job
  • Learn something new e.g. guitar/Spanish
  • Go overseas at least once (preferably China, South America, Thailand or Bali…or ALL)
  • Get active and make use of the outdoors like I used to
  • Drink more water 

...all pretty basic, but very achievable! That's what it's all about isn't it :)

Peace and Aroha 

xoxo

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.