Existing Member?

So... What Are You Waiting For? Carpe Diem - Live the Dream

Chasing the American Dream - Sin City

USA | Saturday, 12 February 2011 | Views [712]

Since I've been back, I've been asked the same question over and over again - "How was Vegas?!" Each and every time I've been asked this I've been stunted as to how to answer in a way that would truly reflect how freakin' awesome it was. No words could possibly describe or summarize Vegas.

I will, however, summarize what was quite possibly the most epic week of my life. In fact I'll summarize the highlights of Vegas (which include but are not limited to):


  • How cheap it is - Tom and I got a package deal which included return air fares, 4 nights at the Luxor and 2 free tickets to Cirque Du Soleil for only $240 each! We stayed at the Luxor Hotel and Casino which is fabulously Egyptian-themed and positioned right on the strip. The Luxor is the second largest hotel in Vegas (next to the MGM Grand) and third largest in the world. But yes, Vegas is cheap; they'll do whatever it takes to get you there and cross their greasy fingers that you'll make up the difference in gambling your life away in all their fabulous casinos and bars.. not that you need to dig too deep - especially for drinks! As long as your sitting on a machine or at a table in the casinos, it's free drinks all night long! Yes, you heard right. GOD I LOVE VEGAS!!! 


  • Cirque Du Soleil - You can't do Vegas without seeing a show...or in our case, two! Both permanent shows, we experienced the wonders of Cirque Du Soliel's "O" at the Bellagio and "KA" at MGM Grand.
  • "O" weaves an aquatic tapestry of artistry, surrealism and theatrical romance in a timeless production. Inspired by the concept of infinity and the elegance of water's pure form, "O" brings together acrobats, synchronixed swimmers and divers to perform under, in and above a fascinating 1.5 million gallon pool which sets the main stage for all the action. The performers exhibit flawless athletic and acrobatic skills in an unconventional performance space that brings together air, earth, fire and of course, water. This show is an aquatic masterpiece not to be missed!

    I urge you to go to http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/en/shows/o/default.aspx and preview the show and check out the pics (as of course, no personal cameras allowed)!



  • Cirque Du Soleils "KA" is an unprecedented, gravity-defying production. Set within a dynamic theatrical landscape, an entire empire appears on KA'S colossal stage. It's one of those "Don't try this at home" pieces of art; which sounds like obvious advice when you consider the 9 story theatre which the performers use in every acrobatic way imaginable (assuming you have a wild, death-defying imagination). Not to mention the shows 7 state of the art, fully moveable stages that all seem to carry their own gravitational pull. Brought to life through the innovative blend of acrobatic feats, martial arts, puppetry and projections, "KA" provides edge-of-your-seat excitement. Out of all the Cirque Du Soleil shows I've seen so far, this one was by far the best!! The emotive soundtrack, the moving storyline, the costumes, the stage and performance; it was flawless entertainment. 
  • Go to http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/en/shows/ka/default.aspx for a sneak peak of the show.



  • The Grand Canyon - Grand Canyon? "Grand" being the biggest understatement of the whole entire world, this place is beyond words! Its breathtaking beauty, its larger than life walls of stone, its seemingly infinite size, the Grand Canyon is to date the most epic place I have ever experienced. For hours I sat 4,000 feet up perched on the edge of the canyons majestic cliffs savouring every moment and wishing that all of my loved ones were there with me experiencing natures greatest gift. To go where only Eagles dare to fly, this place will forever hold that something special. Spiritual vibes all round haha!



  • Hoover Dam - Pretty DAM epic. Being so close to Vegas it was a must-see attraction. This mega structure is also larger than life and has a pretty killer view of Lake Mead, the country's biggest man-made reservoir. The best views are seen by the just-as-grand Hoover Dam Bridge which proudly arcs the sky behind it. Viewing this magnificent structure is a reminder of man's ability to harness nature's power. 


  • Bellagio Fountains - The most spectacular, vibrant, elegant and romantic show in Vegas! The fountains of Bellagio use more than 1000 computor-operated water jets, and more than 4000 individually programmed lights to create the most elating water show around. Droplets of choreographed water dance in front of the hotel throughout the day to an array of music from Opera to Broadway. This is undoubtedly the most popular attractions on the strip, and what makes it so amazing is how every time we watched the fountains, there was a different choreography to a different piece of music... just stunning!


  • The Nightlife - of course!! Vegas never sleeps.. Ever. There are infinite shops, casinos, bars, nightclubs and restaurants that are open 24/7. The streets are constantly roaming with tourists, and if anything, gets busier come midnight. There were one or two occasions where I'd go to sleep at 8 (exhausted from a huge day out) and set my alarm for midnight so that I was refreshed for a big night out! Haha, only in Vegas right?



        • Shopping - Vegas is renown for its fabulous shopping and the variety is endless. From luxury retailers to outlet shopping centres the choice is yours. There are plenty of opportunities to shop in Vegas. If you are just buying a few souvenirs or gifts, you need not stray far from the casinos on the strip. Every casino hotel has at least a gift shop and most of the larger casinos have shopping malls with a wide variety of stores. Some of the shops in the casino are generally exclusive labels, so if your wanting to make the most of your shopping budget, factory outlet malls deliver what you're looking for!! Two of the casino malls are so unique that they are worth visiting just for their entertainment value. The Forum Shops in Caesar's Palace are designed to resemble a Roman Forum complete with marble facades, animated statues and ever changing cloud covered ceilings. The Grand Canal Shops in the Venetian Resort recreate the architecture of Venice, Italy along a replica of the Grand Canal.

        • Hiring a Mustang Convertible - How could you not?! Not only was it a killer deal, but when was the last (or the first) time you drove a Mustang Convertible? The all-American muscle car, Purrr! Now, in Vegas everyone drives a pretentious car, so we didn't exactly look out of place. I also felt a million times more important when we went to valet it at every hotel we went to. Why not though right? Mwahahaha. Riding a limo down the strip is sooooo 1999. Stretch Hummers are still pretty cool though :P

     

     

    Travel Answers about USA

    Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.