Existing Member?

So... What Are You Waiting For? Carpe Diem - Live the Dream

In Too Deep

USA | Friday, 18 February 2011 | Views [532] | Comments [3]

Today was STUPID DEEP at Squaw - 84 inches of Snow and counting!! 

We've come from hucking dirt and rocks to bottomless powder in a mere 3 days. That's right, 3 days ago we were skiing rock hard, 6 week old snow that was just itching to break your face. Today, it was 7 foot deep, light, bottomless powder, and you could do anything you wanted. You could BE anything you wanted. This storm is surpassing expectations and there's plenty more yet to come. I think it's time to break out the snorkels because we are literally swimming in this stuff!!

Today was literally too deep. I got stuck, the boys got stuck, everyone was getting bogged in. Anywhere that was fresh was painfully deep. Why must it snow sooo much here? Can't we just get a nice happy 2 feet like other 'normal' mountains? Does it always have to be 7 feet deep at Squaw? Do we HAVE to be that much awesomer than everywhere else? Yes. Yes we do. It’s because this is California and we get more snow here than anyone. Last night we got 22 inches of 4% blower on top of the 40+ inches of 5% we already had. I've never experienced anything deeper in my life...anywhere!! I'm sure the same goes for a lot of us.

The only lame thing about Squaw is that there are a lot of humans. Not that its my personal fav, but the infamous KT line was the worst its apparently ever been today with 40 minute waits at times. In a word, brutal.. speshly for you die hard skiiers. But, every time you got on a lift you instantly forgot about the heinous line you just waited in and started drooling about the snorkeling adventure you were about to have. One helluva day today. And tomorrow literally might be even too deeperer. 

It’s about time old man winter showed back up, bringing a few decent feet of blower pow thus far in the storm cycle. I think I saw my whole neighborhood out on the hill today, which was quite pleasant. Winds were howling, face shots were plentiful, and ear-to-ear smiles even more so. Needless to say I'm well and truly getting my winter legs (and smile muscles) back in shape.

Now with all this snow its inevitable to experience some mishaps out there on the hill. Yesterday Mother Nature gave me a particularly scary reminder of who's in charge when I found myself buried a few feet under. Alas I live to tell the tale, and my respect for the mountain gets a kick in the balls once again. Mother nature is one relentless bitch. She made me confess all my mortal sins down there. 

Now with all this talk of snow I know you wouldn't still be reading this if you didn't really care about how amazing this storm truly is. And just so you know that I'm not exaggerating I urge you to check out the Snowfall Tracker for a legit proof of this humungo storm.

You should be here.

Tags: 7 feet of snow, epic storm, squaw valley usa

Comments

1

Hi tizleilani,

We really liked your story and wanted to share it with the World Nomads community so that others can enjoy it too. Check it out on the WorldNomads Adventures homepage this week.

Happy travels,
Alicia
World Nomads

  World Nomads Feb 21, 2011 10:34 AM

2

That's awesome!! Thanks Alicia :)

  Lani Feb 21, 2011 2:45 PM

3

Wow what a Journey, good on WorldNomads Adventures for featuring it, your writing is amazing!

  shez Feb 21, 2011 7:33 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.