Existing Member?

Journal

Alaska - the beginning

USA | Sunday, 11 May 2008 | Views [4931] | Comments [20]

polar bear, anchorage zoo

polar bear, anchorage zoo

Hi there from Alaska,

It's been three days since we've arrived in Anchorage, so time for some tales. The flight here was breathtaking, over snowcapped mountains as far as the eyes can see. Our first impressions: big mountains, big cars, big roads, big steak houses, and big Americans. When walking the streets, the smell of steak and doughnuts succeed one another. Drive thru Starbucks to Drive thru Banking...you never have to leave your big pick-up truck here! It's still quite fresh, the thaw has only set in a few weeks ago. Lucky the toilet seats have electric heating...

A visit to the zoo yesterday to meet our outdoor companions: polar bear, grizzly bear and black bear.

Today we are taking off on a one week trip to Seward and back, about 130 miles south of Anchorage. All our gear is packed, bearbells are tinkling on the handlebars, and the food is safely stashed in a bearcan. We hope we will be able to admire these impressive animals from a safe distance.

cheers

Anna and Ali


For more information please visit our website at www.thefuegoproject.com

Tags: alaska

 

Comments

1

Dear Anna & Ali,

What a nice/professional site! And looks as if you guys have made a good start. Looking forward to your next update. All the best & ENJOY! xOlly

  Olga May 12, 2008 5:39 AM

2

All the best Anna and Ali from Oacis David back in a clear sky and warm Adelaide.
Looking forward to your regular reports

  David FMC May 13, 2008 1:49 PM

3

Hey Anna and Ali,
Sounds like you made a good start in Alaska. I hope you will have a wonderful time on your trip to Seward and further on after that. Don't forget to make a little detour to the Portage glacier on the way down south and a boat trip when you get to Seward.
Looking forward to hearing more about your adventures!
Have fun!
x Petra

  Petra May 14, 2008 2:29 PM

4

Saw reference to your ride in a Bike SA email ...and my first thought was of being very jealous - like you both, I did the Mawson unsupported in 2004 - a fantastic experience ....but it will pale into insignificance compared to your current adventure. I look forward to reading your trip's journal. Enjoy!

  Dave May 14, 2008 9:21 PM

5

Good luck for the trip - it looks like an awesome adventure ahead of you. I'll be keeping an eye on your progress from back here in sleepy little Adelaide....

  Sam May 15, 2008 9:24 AM

6

Hi you two,
how exciting! The start of your big trip. At long last you can get on a start the great adventure. I'm sure you will have great fun out there, be safe and i look forward to reading your journal. All the best

  Derek May 15, 2008 9:09 PM

7

Hi Guys,
Joan sent us your latest letter. I can't believe how cold it is. I would never be caught dead doing what you guys are doing. I thought you were going to say that you came face to face with a bear, but then I realised you had to still be alive to be sending the message, so I relaxed. Hope you are still having fun. We are all well back here. Not much to report. Talk to you later.
Suzi and Shane

  Suzi and Shane May 16, 2008 9:37 PM

8

Yeeeaaah A-Team woohoo!

  Moose May 17, 2008 9:59 AM

9

Keep the bearbells ringing!

  Ray & Deborah May 18, 2008 6:49 PM

10

Hi Anna and Ali,

Sounds exciting!! Funny to hear that even in Alaska there's a starbucks! Enjoy the nature and good luck with the start of your trip! Great to read your experiences on the site!

take care!

greetings Noelle

  noelle May 19, 2008 1:16 AM

11

Hey there Anna and Ali,
How nice to hear from you both! Good luck with the bear sightings and keep safe and warm!
I just found the book "Headwinds" in the lib and think of you two as I read it. Cannot wait to read a compilation of all YOUR adventures...no doubt there will be heaps to write about!

  Michell May 20, 2008 2:36 AM

12

So, first taste of America made for a few laughs did it? Are you feeling a bit small and insignificant on the road next to all those big trucks? Hope people are treating you well - by all accounts people get friendlier the warmer the weather gets. I guess people hibernate too!
Stay safe (and warm - you can wear thermals as formal wear in Canada so I'm sure the same holds true for Alaska) XX Ang

  Ang May 20, 2008 8:42 PM

13

Hi Ali & Anna
You are in our thoughts and we spend many moments wondering how things are going. Keep warm and keep peddling! Looking forward to seeing you both later.
Joan & Ewan XX

  Joan & Ewan May 21, 2008 9:27 AM

14

Hey guy's , travel safe and soak it all up. We are looking forward to reading all about your adventures.
Take care. e,b @ o

  eleanor , blair and oliver May 21, 2008 8:37 PM

15

Hi Ali and Anna
Sounds very exciting and Ali I know it must be hard to leave the Mallee and go to little old Alaska but try to enjoy it! ha ha.
Bet of luck to you both!.

  Ro May 23, 2008 10:19 AM

16

Hi Anna en Ali,

I'm so jealous! The site looks very cool, the Polar Bear also. Very charming.

Enjoy! and I'm waiting for some beautiful photo's!

xx

ps: I'll probably be in the Rockies in august: when are you planning on getting there?

  Lotte May 26, 2008 8:10 PM

17

Hi Ali and Anna,
Watched 'Into the Wild' today and thought of you guys. Alaska looks incredibly rugged and beautiful (just slightly envious!). Hope all is going well so far. Stay safe. Sophie xxo

  Sophie G May 27, 2008 7:19 AM

18

hi sweeties,
and... did you meet some bears from a safe distance? hope you're both safe and sound!
in lot's and lot's of everyday things i associate freely to you both and your trip. Hope you're enjoying it, and that it is as you expected or a bit more :)
Lot's of love, x coen

  Coen Jun 2, 2008 6:14 AM

19

I am re-living my sedately delightful trip this time last year, as I read of your journey. Keep safe and enjoy every possible moment - DIANA

  Diana and John in HOBART Jun 8, 2008 2:14 PM

20

the bears, the bears...

Hey A Team, we miss you, life is just that little bit quieter in sleepy old Adeliade without you, not to mention the trails.

Stay warm and out of the bears jaws...

we love you,

Katie xxx

  Katie Jun 10, 2008 9:52 AM

About thefuegoproject

Somewhere under a rainbow...afternoon thunderstorms on the slope

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.