Existing Member?

Journal

Parks Highway and the Great One

USA | Thursday, 5 June 2008 | Views [3168] | Comments [12]

Denali, the Great One, MtMcKinley

Denali, the Great One, MtMcKinley

On May the 22nd we left Anchorage with bikes loaded and Ali back to full strength after a nasty flu. We cycled along the Parks Highway, a 363 mile road connecting Anchorage in the South with Fairbanks in the Interior.

The first week of riding took us from the flats, along an endless road lined by spruce and birch, to the treeless tundra. The sides of the road still covered in snow.

On May 26 the USA celebrates Memorial Day. Hundreds of Harley Davidsons, manned by bearded, leather jacketed men, women and dogs passed, to pay their respects to old time war companions. We spent a night with a group of these motor cyclists around a fire, surprised by the difference in our diet. Our healthy veggie dish seemed to dissapear next to their 2 pound steaks on the BBQ.

The views of Denali (Great One)/Mt McKinley, USA's highest peak, were stunning. The mountain seems to drift high above all others. One cannot but think of the souls attempting to reach the summit, and wish them good weather conditions.

After 6 days on the road we set up camp in Denali NP for 5 nights to explore some of this wilderness. Through the park leads one road, conveniently named Park Road. Due to snow, part of this road was still closed. We ventured in by bus to Toklat River, the last point open to public. Here we hiked up the wide river bed of the east fork, getting our feet wet crossing some icy streams. It was a gentle way to meet wildlife, for there were footprints of bears, wolves and caribou in the sand. Later on we saw these animals in real from behind the bus window. I guess the wildlife isn't as visible as on the African steppe, but when they do come into view, our hearts start thumping.

The highlight of this trip was a bike ride from Toklat back to our campgound. For 7 hours, we cycled amongst high cliffs, mountains coloured brown, red, green and white. In the backdrop constant view of the Great One. Arctic squirrels and snowshoe hares quickly jump from one little burrow to another. And big moose hold up bus traffic.

The wind and road gods were on our side as we left the park, for we had tailwind and downhill for a full day. We passed the Stampede trail, where Chris McCandless ventured into the wild in 1992. His story was written down in 'Into the Wild' by Jon Krakauer and is now playing in cinemas across the globe. Well worth the watch.

We were warmly welcomed by Dan and Lisa in Fairbanks. They are a couple from NZ, living here for 3 years. We met near Anchorage and received an invite to stay. We feel amazed by their unconditional generosity. It's great to rest and get prepared for the next stage.

On the 6th of June we will leave on a 16 hour bustrip to get to Prudhoe bay, at the Arctic Sea. And then back on the bike....Hopefully back around the 21st.

Lots of love

Anna and Alister

Tags: alaska, bears, mountains, national parks, usa, wildlife

Comments

1

Dear Ali en Anna,
Wow! The great Denali. Being a North face fan, I have a great yellow jacket that is dedicated to this great mountain. 6194 meters is quite a rock...
Great to read that the first expiriences where so good. Ali: is that you, writing so nicely? Wow, if your book comes out, I will be one of your first customers buying your book!
Well, enjoy the scenery and the people. Don't forget to keep us working people updated!
Love, Eva

  Eva Jun 6, 2008 6:21 PM

2

Dear Anna and Ali,
Great to hear your fabulous stories! Dk and I watched Into the wild a few weeks ago, we were stunned by the incredible beauty of the landscape there. And ofcourse by the story. Its a lot easier now to imagine the two of you cycling there! But please do not get lost into the wild yourself! Looking forward to your pictures. Love and good luck! Marrit en Dk

  Marrit Jun 6, 2008 7:16 PM

3

Dear Ali and Anna
Great to read of your meanderings. Must be amazing. Glad to hear you are not testing confrontation with wild animals. Looking forward to more stories and photos... hope the veggies get you through!
Love, Trish xx

  Trish Jun 7, 2008 9:46 AM

4

Dear Anna and Ali,
Wow! It sounds like you've had a good start of your trip. I'm jealous. The story is amazing and so are the photos. That wolf seems quite close though... but super that you've seen one. It also seems that the weather is treating you well; I see a lot of blue skies on the photos. You've probably seem much more of Alaska than I have, because I missed all those mountaintops!
Have fun and the next part!
x Petra

  Petra Jun 7, 2008 3:31 PM

5

Dear Anna and Ali,

Great to read your adventures and to see your nice pictures. The big adventure really started!

Keep us updated, I will keep a close sight to your website. Take care and enjoy,

love Vicky

  vicky Jun 7, 2008 7:31 PM

6

Dudes! So cool! And cold! Thank you for updating us. I'll show your site to my parents, who both send you their best wishes for the journey. Love, Died en Bar

  Barbara Jun 7, 2008 9:55 PM

7

Hey Ali and anna,
Amazing!!! Loved reading your stories and looking at the photo's. Looking forward to the chapter of your memoirs.
Adrian

  Adrian Jun 8, 2008 12:01 AM

8

Happy Nomads,
Wicked stuff indeed! Admiration all around.
Carpe Diem
Peace and Love, my lovely friends
luc

  Luc Jun 8, 2008 12:55 PM

9

Hey guys,
Thanks for the inspiring update. Missing you guys but so moved by what you are doing. Makes the everyday stuff here seem smaller, and gives me a window into another life...perspective I guess. Sending you big hugs. Shaz xx

  Shaz Jun 11, 2008 5:52 PM

10

Hello Bikeys!
Glad to hear you're on the road! Thanks for a great pizza party in Anchorage. Just wanted to let you know that we are following your adventure and can't wait to hear more! See you down the road in Idaho!!
Keep your chains greased!
Sara and Chris

  Sara and Chris Jun 13, 2008 8:25 AM

11

my beautiful friends, thankyou for taking us with you on your journey! my imagination fills in the gaps as i read the journal entries of smells and sites and smiles. you guys inspire me to sick to my trusty bike, come rain or shine...
xxx

  Sarah Jun 13, 2008 3:02 PM

12

Gosh - I just watched the DVD "Into the Wild" last night and had dreams of Denali National park and Alaskan wilderness last night. I'd never heard of Denali until yesterday and now I stumble across your blog entry. I'm quite envious of the exploring your undertaking, the clean air and big vistas. Stay safe ~

  crustyadventures Jun 16, 2008 11:33 AM

About thefuegoproject

Somewhere under a rainbow...afternoon thunderstorms on the slope

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.