Existing Member?

sophsossig general diary to keep all the folks at home upto date on our shenanigans in India!

Jungle Book Massive!

INDIA | Monday, 19 February 2007 | Views [439] | Comments [1]

Oh my God can't believe what a day it has been! Took the bamboo rafting trek through Periyar Tiger Reserve and it was like a scene straight out of Jungle Book (almost!) Saw a herd of 7 wild elephants including one little bambino (probably 1 month old - how cute!), a black bear - which was 50m away from us - like a scene from Planet Earth but no TV this was real!! Also giant squirrel (and they are HUGE!), wild boar and birds including white-necked stork, indian roller, blue winged parakeet, malabar grey hornbill, greater racket-tailed drongo (check me out with my brand new bird book!!). Book was a real god send today as would not have had a clue what all these fab looking birds were without it.

Trek started at 8am this morning after a night of torrential rain - did not sleep well because of it - haven't seen rain for weeks and wasn't sure if my bamboo hut would take it! Went with group of 6 other people plus guides. Group were fab - 2 danish girls, english couple and young couple Pavlov and Sharna and all the guides except one were so knowledgable and just seemed to be having so much fun showing us around. The exception was a right plonker - he was the one with the gun although i think he would have preferred to have used it on the group than on any crazy wild animals. He spoke to me over lunch to say how boring his job was and how dangerous!! (ok tigers and elephants but really don't think there has been an attack on humans in recent years!!) if he doesn't want his job - I'LL HAVE IT!!

Other guys great though - racing bamboo rafts, fishing and they found some great spots for us to look at wildlife.

Pavlov and Sharna invited me to dinner with them which was great - didn't hook up with anyone last night as place where i'm staying is pretty quiet. Just had wonderful Thali, cardamom tea and butterscotch milkshake - deelish!! They have told me about a place called Munnar further up the hills so think i might go  and check it out . . . .

Oh and the Kathakili show last night was insane but intriguing! Two guys dressed in make-up looking like Grotbags and Widow Twanky having a domestic!! SOng-dance show is based around eye/face movements and hand movements! These guys look like they're impersonating mine and Annies funny face photos on our digital cameras. Would make great sign language people on those late night shows - you know the ones that are at the bottom of the screen when you're trying to watch Hollyoaks.

Anyhows off to bed for an early night after all that trekking - good night xxxx

Tags: The Great Outdoors

Comments

1

Night-night Sophie.
That's odd : our last time in a Travel Lodge was to keep you company... and we got you special rates through Saga (of course I lied about our age)

xx J&J

  J&J Feb 21, 2007 7:38 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.