Existing Member?

sophsossig general diary to keep all the folks at home upto date on our shenanigans in India!

The Lone Ranger

INDIA | Friday, 16 February 2007 | Views [776]

Ok its not even been 24 hours since I left beloved Annie at Trivandrum bus stand and i miss her - travelling alone is weird! Time drags, haven't laughed nearly enough and being more on guard is just no good for my laidback vibe.

After a night in Kovullum - SAGA's prime destination!! - decided to miss out ashram altogether and explore India alone for a full 2 weeks. Just a few words on Kovullum which honestly made me feel like such a spring chicken - it's true what they say it is package holiday central and we were driven out of about 3 bars along Lighthouse Beach by lousy music - CRAZY FROG (i mean come on  - surely that song is banned in all countrys by now!?!). Finally came to Serenity bar at end of beach which was playing Bryans Adams Summer of '69 remix(straight in there baby!). Perhaps Kovullums version of Cream judging by the dance moves and outfits going down in there!! Waiting for the loo Annie once again got seriously offended by cheeky Indian on her skin condition (freckles!!). He told her he was a therapist and may be able to help - don't think even 100 hours on a leather couch will be enough to cure Annie of the complex these cheeky Indians are giving her!! Luckily I was already on the toilet when he asked about it as i was wetting myself with laughter!

So after departing Kovullum and leaving Annie i catch a 3 hr train to Kottayam. Had the most stomach turning moment of my journey so far  - waiting on footboard of carriage as it pulled off from a station a middle aged couple ran to the door to jump out as it was moving away. The man made it (Just) put the poor woman just jumped off it at speed and fell to the floor rolling uncontrollably, sari all over the place - my stomach churned as i thought she was gonna go under the train. It was horrific - she  didn't go under but it was quite a bloody fall and has definitely put me off jumping off moving trains!

Few guys tried chatting to me along journey but being alone i am so much guarded and answer questions politely enough but just don't ask any back. Don't like being like that but don't want to give anyone the wrong idea - oh travelling alone makes for unfriendly times : ( maybe i'll relax about it as time goes on . . . .

Arrive Kottayam and decide to walk the 400m to Green park hotel - mentioned in Rough Guide given to us by Dec (Stephen Gately from other night!) who deserves a huge THANK YOU from me as his gift has given me the confidence and knowledge to do this bit of my trip alone - Dec u truly are a Diamond!!! xxxx - walk past hotel on quiet dark street and have to do a u turn - by now am very hot, knackered and sweaty - only to find rooms at Green Park are 400 wuppees plus tax! No way - head back to train station to start again but see cheap looking hotel along the way - 150 r per night and so worth only 1r - room looks like a dirty protest has been held in there, no private bathroom and balcony overlooking the loacal tip : ( but tired and figure it's only one night. Go to pay and dude tries to take 300r saying 150r will be returned - i tell him NO Way which he accepts. Go to room to plan escape using Rough Guide and gut instinct tells me to leave immediatley. Grab back pack and demand money back before trekking off at around 10pm to find a clean place to rest my head.

Like so many times on this journey i land on my feet (when things look bad something good always turns up!! - someones looking out for me/us!) take rickshaw to Ambassador hotel which is a dream. Double room (220r), fan, TV (with 110 channels!), private bathroom, shampoo, soap - HEAVEN! and 24hr chocolate counter in reception. Dump bag, grab a Sprint then head to bed with slice of chocolate cake (comfort food as am misisng Annie!) to veg in front of Animal Planet and Celeb TV shows . . . .

Checked out local bird sanctuary today - Kumatalaum - very peaceful, shady and saw purple heron, snake bird/darter. Mostly heard birds but still a nice morning. Also bought bird book today for a fiver to help me identify birdies so Ryan you are off the hook but thank you so much for all your help so far! Will keep putting up what photos i can . . .

Off to Periyar wildlife sanctuary tomorrow - happy days!

Tags: Friends

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.