Existing Member?

sophsossig general diary to keep all the folks at home upto date on our shenanigans in India!

Ashram Bollocks!!

INDIA | Thursday, 15 February 2007 | Views [2034] | Comments [2]

So left Varkala eventually after one more night at Zions - being at a beach is fab but i feel that i should be out there - travelling, exploring, there is just so much to see and so little time to see it. Get a train to Kollum early morning just in time to get 10.30 boat through the backwaters to Ammas Ashram. The boat ride is so relaxing and the backwaters truly are amazing - they seem to stretch on forever and the wildlife is stunning - ducks (love 'em), sea eagles, cormorants, egrets, jellyfish (just going with the flow - a bit like us!?!?)and we sit on the top deck chilling. Have Indian lunch at stop off and take silly pictures of ourselves to keep ourselves entertained. The digi camera was just the best buy - taking pictures of ourselves pulling funny faces keeps us entertained for hours!

Finally arrive ashram after 3-4 hours on boat - the place is like bloody Canary Wharf - high rise flats - the works but it is in a wonderful setting, sea to one side and back waters to the other and palm trees as far as the eye can see.

Book in to room - floor 12 and the room is like a prison cell, mattress on floor and bars on the window. Wander around ashram and clock all the mentalists wearing white and carrying vol 1 - 150 of Ammas devotional hymns. Discover you can buy amma rings, badges, t-shirts, stickers, dolls, watches - there is nothing you can't buy without ammas face on it!

Bump into Dave and Daya who we met at Trivandrum hugfest - lovely guy who is a true devotee! They both regularly break into tears as they speak about Amma with us over lunch - me and Annie just laugh and try to console them. Dave tells us that Amma sends him lovebombs and guides him through his everyday life and also that she knows we are here and if we stay we will be rewarded - maybe with a lovebomb - who knows!?!?

Decide we may stay two nights just out of curiosity and then take our seats for devotional hymn time - Amma comes and sings while devotees sit before her and sing along using their library of hymn books and hugging their Amma dolls. My butt hurts from sitting on hard floor so we get up and leave half way through!

Next day the overwhelming feeling of 'this place is bollocks' and 'these people are all slightly deluded' leads to us getting the first boat out of there with bunch of Irish lads who feel the same way! Although i do beleive Annie would have stayed - slightl;y concerned i am gonna lose her to one of these crazy  cults whilst here - much watch out for any change in her behaviour (amma t-shirt/ring buying etc)

Boat takes us to Allepey where we get cheap room and find nearest bar for King fishers - Irish lads invite us to sit with them and one KF leads to 5 and a wild party on the street and then back to their place! A real craick - irish song singing, boyzone renditions and silly pictures.

Leave Allepey for Trivandrum but have now ended up in Kovulum for one night - just can't get enough of the beach life and then to next ashram. Don't think i'm gonna be there long so am planninga few days of lone travelling around Kerala - should be a breeze as the peopleare just so friendly and laid back! Can't wait . . . . .

Tags: Laughter

Comments

1

Hi Soph,
I'd love to make this post the Feature on our Adventures section (http://adventures.worldnomads.com/) for the next week... but I need a relevant photo. Can you email me anything of the Ashram, the bollocks or one of you/your reactions? If there's already something in your photo galleries, just let me know where to look.
Happy travels & keep on laughing.

  crustyadventures Feb 15, 2007 12:17 PM

2

hey speedy gonzales - thank you for the pix! You're now up as the feature article on the main Adventures page for the next week.

  crustyadventures Feb 16, 2007 9:49 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.