Existing Member?

sophsossig general diary to keep all the folks at home upto date on our shenanigans in India!

Happy Halloween

INDIA | Tuesday, 30 October 2007 | Views [661]

Hello everybody, Things swimming along nicely here in Mcleod!

Went to see the documentary films that Jam's friends star in at Khana Nirvana the other night. The lady who made the films, Maria Blumencorn, from Germany was there showing them. The first one Escape From Tibet tells the story of a group of Tibetans that crossed over the Himalayas in 2000. One of these Tibetans was Suja - Jam's friend - and there was also 6 children aged between 8 and 12. It was a very touching story as all these children came without their parents and missed them so much. Their parents felt they had no choice but to send their children into exile where there is a better chance of education, opportunity and freedom. Maria now sponsors all 6 children who attend the TCV school here in Dharmasala.

The third film showed one childs reunion with his mother. His mother did not recgonise him when she arrived and asked her son 'hello, what is your name?, what is your fathers name?, what is your mothers name?' before it finally dawned on her. So sad but so happy to see them get to know each other again.

I must admit I had to bite my tongue to stop from laughing quite a few times - Suja has the greatest bowl haircut when he arrives over the mountains and when Tendim appeared on the screen I was nearly wetting myself! It is just so funny to see these guys that we know from the bar on film! And you know what it's like when something tickles you at a really inappropriate time! It just want to makes you laugh even more . . . .

Oh and the guide who bought these children over the mountain along with many other Tibetans during his time as a guide was also there in Khana Nirvana. A very special guy - here in India and showing his face as he no longer works as a guide becuase he was captured and imprisoned for two years before escaping. Can no longer return to Lhasa to help people across the border as Chinese police wil recgonise him.

Ended up in Xcite that night after a few whiskeys and a sing-a-long with some Scottish and Irish peeps we have met here. We then walked Chejam back to his home where we met a lovely little puppy. In our slighlty pissed state decided to encourage him to follow us home (ok we carried him home - dognapped him!) He then slept under our bed all night. In the sober light of day we realised how ugly this puppy actually was!! And then he was rude enough to insult our cooking turning up his nose at my porridge and Jam's bread and chips. So last night we took him back into town to try and find some meat for him and then maybe lose him in the crowd. But the cheeky sod run from us as soon as we got back to town anyway. Later saw him rooting through the rubbish for food (obviously found that more appealing than our cooking!)

Oh and Airtel (mobile company out here) r driving me insane. Annie you will understand the torment of 5 or 6 phone calls each day from
Airtel - playing dodgy Indian music or trying to sell ringtones to their 'dear customers'. Each morning they now send sickly sweet texts as a morning call e.g 'ood Morning, Greetings on your return from dreamland, may the sun welcome you to its new day with a sunny smile and the flowers petals send you a gentle wave to wish you a wonderful day' Honestly i feel like if I step outside it will be like a scene from Snow White - woodland creatures will flock to me and the world will be clouded in a warm, golden glow!

Going to celebrate Halloween here with some pumpkins and red and green food colouring to put in everything we cook tomorrow!

Wishing everyone back home a Happy Halloween. Lots of Love Soph xxxx

Tags: Everyday Stuff

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.