Existing Member?

solbeam Equipped with backpack, blog and her sense of Wonder, a perpetual pilgrim wanders aimfully on....

Providing Safe Passage

GUATEMALA | Sunday, 10 February 2002 | Views [1214] | Comments [1]

Okay, the combination of working at the project *turns knob two turns to the right*, working at the bar *turns knob two turns left*, Spanish classes *turns knob right again*, the gym *turns knob left half turn* and a social life *centers knob and jiggles lock*....

....has left me exhausted and with no time to blog.

*kicks unopened locker-of-life*

So instead I will take this time to share with you the 857 pictures I have taken of the children at the project I am working at, Proyecto Camino Seguro ("Safe Passage"). And although these galleries are full of pint-sized smiles, do not be misled. For although the children are safe, fed and full of fun within the walls of the projects, the reality is that they live in the dump. The reality is that food, clothes, education and attention are not rights or givens, but something they have to fight for, every single day.

To see ALL the pictures, click here.

ALL the activities we do with the children, taking them to the zoo, having pool parties, giving them Christmas presents, providing meals,buying their school text books and uniforms -- are ALL paid for by sponsors. In addition to the project sponsors, we have a one-to-one child sponsorship program. About 50% of our kids have a "padrino" or "madrina" abroad who makes monthly donations to pay for that child's expenses. Some kids have active sponsors who send them letters and gifts. I've seen kids cry upon receipt of these items, and I've helped the kids make dozens of hand made thank you cards and pen-pal letters.

I know. I too have seen pictures so similar to the ones above on those TV commercials that made me cringe in disbelieving horror. But I always thought...."now who really knows where that money is going?" and proceeded on to HBO or MTV. I'm not gonna beg or make a guilt play, but if anyone out there in reader-land has been looking for the opportunity to help out a TRULY trustworthy project, this is it. Whether it be in the form of actual volunteering, donations of ANYTHING (books, clothing, food), individual child sponsorship or making any kind of monetary donation, I am here to give you my Girl Scouts honor *5-yr pin and all* that your money, time and/or donations will make a real difference in the lives of the children pictured above. Not only can I give you my word, but picture-proof. If you want to sponsor a field trip for all the children to go to the beach (to the movies, to the zoo, to the dentist, to Disneyland)... we can make it happen...and I can take a hundred pictures to share and show the smiles you've sponsored. If you want to sponsor an individual child, I can personally chose one for you and take a picture of the two of us and send it via email.

If you (or your parents, school, company or church) would like to help out in any manner or have any ideas that you'd like to discuss, please email me! Write to me at solbeam@solbeam.com. We are an American non-profit, and ALL donations ARE tax-deductible. More information on how to sponsor Safe Passage can be found on the website at: www.safepassage.org

Okay! Enough out of me on that! I took the next two weekends off from work to travel over the long-weekends, but it means I'm working double-time on the weekdays, so I might be a bit quiet this week, but back in full-reporting action very soon!

And this is an essay I wrote a couple weeks ago about some of my experiences working for the project (...decided that I should actually post it on solbeam.com for safety-sake and reasons previously mentioned)... Read on for "I Have Lice".

Tags: guatemala, safe passage, solbeam, work

 

Comments

1

I am planning on going to volunteer at safe passage september to november.

any hints, tips, advice? I'm a photographer and would love to take my camera but it's big and i don't want to take it if it puts me at risk. what's your opinion?

  jemma Jun 2, 2006 1:33 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.