Existing Member?

Slavic Trails

Badlands/Mt Rushmore

USA | Saturday, 9 January 2010 | Views [250]

In a matter of hours it went from being -30C to about 5C. when we woke in the morning we kicked off massive blocks of ice from under the wheel arches of the car and we couldn't actually put in anymore windscreen washer because the bonnet was frozen shut. by the time we reached the Badlands though it had warmed up. Mt Rushmore was totally over-hyped. Its actually tiny. Its a good job we turned up in the winter because I could imagine being stuck in a traffic jam for hours to see it during the summer. As it is it only took us 9 days of driving....

Crazy Horse is worse. it's not even finished!! 40yrs give or take they've been working on it! As we pulled up to the entrance they tried to charge us $27 for the car. We could see it from the entrance so we told the guy to end it and that we were gonna pull a U-turn at the top of the road (slow enough so we could take pictures...).

Because of the weather (and on the recommendation of a random in Chicago) we decided to Not bother with Yellowstone and head South to Cheyenne. State Capital of Wyoming....

 
 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.