Existing Member?

Sloggs' Travel Blog A journal of my travels in 2008 & beyond...

Rob Roy Valley Walk and on to Queenstown

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 2 June 2008 | Views [2086]

Rob Roy Valley walk

Rob Roy Valley walk

This morning we met early and headed out of Wanaka to take the walk we'd planned for the day before. I woke up feeling a bit rubbish today, sore throat, snotty nose, head and body ache, brill... Anyway, best thing for that is a long walk in the cold, right?!

We drove for 25km and then a further 25km on a gravel road into the Mt Aspiring National Park. The gravel road wound through lush farmland, full to the brim with (evil) cows and sheep and lots of bird life. The last 4km of the track had fords and lots of rough road which was fun in a baggy old campervan, lol! The walk took about an hour and half and was all the way up the valley to the Rob Roy Glacier. It included lots of different terrain, a cool swing bridge and lots of sections under threat of rock falls, including some parts of the path which were pretty much destroyed from recent falls... It was a very nice walk, and the views along the end were superb.

Once finished we drove back into Wanaka for lunch and a large cuppa and then headed south to Queenstown. I'll be back to both Queenstown and Wanaka again on my trip, but for the time being I am going to stick with Chris as he heads down to Te Anau where we can take some day trips to Milford Sound, which is going to be pretty spectacular hopefully, and should be a highlight of the trip! Queenstown feels pretty nice and the layout is easy enough to get sussed. The camp site here is possibly the best one I've stayed on too, which is good news! I hope to be able to take some skiing lessons here when I come back, although it depends on the weather of course! Wanaka has a little more to offer too, especially on a saturday night! ;-)

In town tonight we booked onto the Kawarau Bungy for tomorrow morning, which we'll do before driving to Te Anau. This is the 'original' commercial bungy site, setup by A J Hackett. It is from a bridge over the Kawarau River and is 43 meters high (142ft). This will be my first ever bungy, and it's a slightly unnerving feeling, lol!! Should be cool though. I'll do the 'big one', the 134 meter (440ft!!) Nevis Highwire, when I come back to Queenstown, which is properly insane!

Ummm... hopefully I'll be updating my blog tomorrow... LMAO!

Pics from Rob Roy Valley walk and drive to Wanaka on facebook.
Laters
Sloggs :-)

Tags: driving, walking

 

About sl0ggs

Me with the kids at Cawaro Village School during the Vitika Trek

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.