Existing Member?

Sloggs' Travel Blog A journal of my travels in 2008 & beyond...

Brisbane

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 28 April 2008 | Views [3578] | Comments [1]

Watching the Brisbane Lions thrash Melbourne at the Gabba

Watching the Brisbane Lions thrash Melbourne at the Gabba

Brisbane is another really nice city. I did plan on doing a few things from here, but time has been eaten up with nothing in particular and I'm more and more conscious of money (I'm spending too much!). I'm staying at another YHA hostel, which is not as nice as the others I've been at, but is still very comfortable and has all the facilites I need.

I took a walk around the city on my first full day here including along the southbank of the river which is full of entertainment and things to do, including a sand beach which was packed with sunbathers and swimmers!

I also attended my first Aussie Rules Footy game here too, better late then never. The opening 'ceremony' of the game was pretty good as it was Anzac's weekend, and it included the match ball being delivered by helicopter onto the pitch! The Brisbane Lions thrashed the Melbourne Demons 137 - 85 which was cool. I was sat directly behind the goals and behind the bizzare 'Cheersquad' who should probably go to England and watch a football match to learn how to sign and chant! ;-) I found out later that Chris, who I'd met on my very first day in Bangkok had been at the game too, if only I'd checked my emails in the morning, I could have met for a beer and sat together at the game... tut! Thats twice we've missed each other now, maybe New Zealand will finally be the trip we meet again!

Bizzarely Katie is staying at the same hostel as me and we last saw each other back in Adelaide after spending two tours together before going our seperate ways! It was really cool to catch up with her and swap stories about the rest of our trip... unfortunately she has been diagnosed with bloody tonsillitis by a doctor here in Brisbane after suddenly becoming ill last night! That has to be the worst bad luck ever, bronchitis at the start of the trip and tonsillitis at the end, the poor girl is gutted and has to get to Sydney tomorrow for one night and then fly all the way home feeling shit... rubbish! At least she had a good trip in between the bouts of illness!!! Judging by her experiences since we were together last, she will definitely be back in Australia at some point anyway! Working for Fitness First means she should be able to get sponsorship with them to come out here... I wish it was that easy for me! Being over the working visa age sucks, I could easily enjoy working out here for a year...

Anyhoo, I was going to go to the Australia Zoo tomorrow (Steve Irwins zoo), but I'm thinking I'll just kill time and save the cash ready to leave on Wednesday for Auckland. I'll more than likely be doing laundry and having a look around town again on foot. (I've seen plenty of zoo's anyway)

I may not update now until I've arrived and settled in New Zealand. I'm hoping to stay for a couple of nights in Auckland with Ringo (a mate from home for those who don't know that name), which will be awesome and then from there plan the rest of my stay! Excited is not the word!!!

Laters haters...

Sloggs ;-)

Tags: onward planning, sightseeing, sport, the planning phase, walking

 

Comments

1

love reading your bloggs,sloggs!!
lucky you!!!! take care
lisa carvallo xx

  lisa abrahams May 2, 2008 7:06 PM

About sl0ggs

Me with the kids at Cawaro Village School during the Vitika Trek

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.