Existing Member?

Sloggs' Travel Blog A journal of my travels in 2008 & beyond...

Wat Phra Singh temple, Chiang Mai

THAILAND | Tuesday, 26 February 2008 | Views [4171] | Comments [3]

Wat Phra Singh, Chiang Mai old town.

Wat Phra Singh, Chiang Mai old town.

This afternoon I went for a walk around Chiang Mai old town, which is inside the moat and what is left of the old perimiter wall that marked the edge of the town many years ago. The Pae Gate is the center to the main back packers and pubs area now, between the east moat and the Ping river.

The biggest temple here, and the one that the guide books all recommend you see if you're only going to see one during your stay, is Wat Phra Singh temple. It is pretty incredible architecture, in keeping with the most important temples over here.

The big building had hundreds of young monks in it, doing some chanting. I didn't think it right to photograph them during that! They might unleash some shaolin ass kicking, or worse some dodgy karma on me! Lol ;-) I did take a sneaky, covert photo of three walking past me though when they left the building for their quarters.

Tomorrow I am going to the Zoo in the morning, and possibly staying there for the whole day it is so big!

I've booked a 3 day, 2 night hill-tribe trek with my guest house to start on Thursday as long as there are 6 people signed up. So far it is just me. Boo!

After that I will do a day of cookery lessons out here, gotta do Green Curry!!

After looking in more detail at flights, I think I'll be leaving here on the 5th March for Kuala Lumper, then hopping straight over the Sabah where I can indulge myself for a week or more, and maybe move south to the Sarawak region too. After that its back to Kuala Lumper for the Malaysian F1 Grand Prix, woohooooo! Then I'm toying with the idea of finding a beautiful island in Malaysia rather than going back to Thailand, before heading for Bangkok on the 30th March to fly to Sydney. All in the short flights will add up to about 100 quid! Looks like I don't have to pay for a Malaysian Visa either, result...

Thats all... move along... nothing to see here.

;p

Tags: history, sightseeing, walking

Comments

1

Been there done that got the t-shirt - haha :D

Only winding you up - hope you're having fun.

  Nikki Feb 27, 2008 7:17 AM

2

Got the Mahout tshirt too have you? No, didn't think so! ;p

Yeah I'm having fun! Can't wait to get to Borneo now though... :D

  sl0ggs Feb 27, 2008 7:43 PM

3

Nah - I just got bracelets, bags and belts - girl stuff :p

  Nikki Mar 1, 2008 5:35 AM

About sl0ggs

Me with the kids at Cawaro Village School during the Vitika Trek

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.