Existing Member?

Sloggs' Travel Blog A journal of my travels in 2008 & beyond...

Day 3, what a day!!!

SOUTH KOREA | Tuesday, 24 July 2007 | Views [1023]

Ok, I was going to call this 'yellow poo day', but since I came up with that title, the day has gone from mad to madder to mazin! (And yes, my poo was yellow today... I need say no more on that subject, nay, I have imparted too much already... enjoy your tea :-/ )

Lots happened today, so much so that I will probably forget something. The point of writing my adventures down is so that I get to remember some of the finer, more subtle little things about this trip, which I could easily do there is so much going on. I could have written it in a word document and kept it for my own amusement, but where is the fun in that! Luckily I have been sharing this experience with not only a seasoned traveller (no, not a gypsy, or someone covered in salt and pepper!), but a top bloke too, so we have been getting on with the business in hand, but also having a good laugh along the way (and where would any of us be without a laugh?).

I turned in last night (that's "went to bed" for all you heathens reading) after writing the report of the day, and well, just led there awake until about 2 am, which was a bit rubbish. This is when I remembered the 'message' story from the first night by the way! (which I added to my notes earlier tonight) So insomnia is good in one way you see... whilst laying there unable to sleep, you remember things. :-)

So this morning I was not feeling bright eyed and bushy tailed as usual. Went through the routine of shower, shave, cleaning teeth (using bottled water of course) and getting dressed ready to meet for breakfast. I was feeling a little shell shocked this morning, I think the whole time change and lack of sleep was catching up with my body clock, and it all felt a bit wierd. Stomach was feeling a little dodgy and I was a bit achy all over from a restless night and the eyes were filled with grit. We met for breakfast in the buffet bar, where the thought of more Chinese food was beginning to disturb me now. Luckily the fried egg-man had been busy and there were some waiting for us, so I had two of those on a couple of slices of bread (the toaster was missing!) and some sliced sausage meat and a bit of crunchy pickled cabbage (seriously, this was the 'good' stuff from the cart!). This all went down ok and got washed down with a few glasses of the orange juice which was pretty good. I also braved another coffee, which had not improved since yesterday's... I went back to my room, for another bout of 'sitty on chinese toilety' and SJ went to settle the bill in reception (with the strictly non-Engrish speaking staff!). Turns out that they wouldn't let him settle as his luggage was still in the room, I think they thought he was going to steal some of the 30p mini bar treats or something! :-/ We then sat downstairs and waited for Jenny (our chinese companie's english speaking person) to collect us to go and see their 'other' factory for the CNC machines.

We got picked up (the bell boys insisting on carrying our bags all of 2 meters) and here-in began what can only be described as a somewhat sedate, yet terrifying, rollercoaster ride through the back streets of hell! The car was a sensible, family car, with nice seat covers and a boot full of blankets(??). The driver was ok, didn't drive too fast, was pretty sensible in fact. But the roads, and the other road users...!! Oh My god! The place is nuts, there are so many road users, as I described before, on all types of vehicles, and they just go for it... crossroads are ridiculous... everyone just starts turning, and goes where they want. Passing each other on the wrong side, swerving around pot holes (deep enough to bury a man in!) and piles of rubble and parked bicycles and groups of people and pedestrians taking their own lives in their hands crossing the roads... one of the roads we crossed, which went into a huge trading estate type place was particularly scarey as we approached it under a fly-over, there were at least 10 lanes all converging onto one another in a straight crossroad where both side of the fly-over also joined in, we ended up going left under the fly-over with the intent of crossing all of these lanes and up onto a kerb into the estate! It was almost closed eyes time I can tell thee... cars and buses and bikes coming from all angles, horns going off everywhere, but we made it!

I thought we were at our destination, but we still had to go through this estate, which was as dusty and run down as we'd seen on any of our road trips, the sort of place that you really really didn't want to get dropped off in, if you know what I mean, something from one of those horror films where the young explorers take a wrong turn and all end up hanging from the rafters with chainsaw welding maniacs for company! (Ok, my imagination is on fire, but bear with me...). This estate was mahuuuuusive. It must have been another 2 or 3 miles of broken roads to swerve through to get where we were going... the whole place was really run down, the buildings looked really old, and battered, like something out of an old war film, windows smashed or hanging out, and dust and debris everywhere, including in the road. Randomly in the middle of this mostly disused site was a section full of little single units and shops which were packed with goods, and a large Honda distribution centre in the middle of it.

We got to our destination, which was a 'new building' and frankly it looked as shite as the rest, but it did have all of its glass intact! There was a few offices, and what looked like staff living quarters on site, with clothing hanging out of the upper windows, and a dog and its puppies running around in the yard... The production line was much the same as the one we saw the day before, badly lit, crap tools, messy staff, dusty environment, but my good were they throwing some superb looking kit together. They had clearly been well designed and albeit a slow looking process, they were certainly churning out the machinery. We hung around here for a while, trying to get a feel for the kit and how robust it was and how well but together it was, taking a few piccies along the way. The main tech man, who was loitering with the translator was intent on 'banging' on things with his trusty brush, banging on the machine chassis and gantry's as if to prove their robustness... lol

We then witnessed them taking delivery of one of these huge machine frame works from a truck that reversed into the workshop, this was a sight to behold! They had no formal lifting gear, just two foot pumped push-along fork lift trucks and a load of fearless Chinese blokes. They quickly decided on how to move it, and found that they were unable to balance the frame from the middle of due to its positioning on the truck, so they started trying to move this thing by hand, and slide it back on the truck! I have no idea how heavy this frame is, but it was made of steel and was built to support a heavy duty router with a bed size of around 2.5 meters by 1.5 meters, so it was fuck-off heavy (for want of a better phrase!). Needless to say they could not move it, so they placed one fork lift under one corner and the other on the diagonally opposite corner to lift it precariously into the air and then they pushed the truck forwards to give them enough room to lift the thing from both sides of the truck in its middle... the forks on the truck were bending under the weight, and these were hand pushed fork lift trucks. The men doing this had no fear or were clueless to the dangers involved, and one even passed under the frame to push the truck! They then put it back down on the truck and picked it up in the middle and pushed the truck all the way out from underneath it (goodness knows why they pushed the truck out, it has an engine!). So then they had a countdown between the two guys operating the trucks to synchronise the descent of this massive wobbling object onto the floor... They managed it anyway, and we felt like giving the loonies a round of applause... it was like a clown act at the circus!

We were ready to get a lift to the airport at this point and go on our way to Korea, but they insisted that we went for lunch with them again! I really didn't feel like it today, but we could hardly say know. We went to a different place, being across town today, which was on a very grubby and rough looking street. The restaurant had a similar setup but was certainly not as posh as the one we went to with the bossman, there were nice holes in the table cloth for instance... :-/ The driver and the tech guy came with us too for the freebie on their boss, and probably to stare at the two Engrish men and put them under pressure as they use the sticks to eat. I actually thought they might stitch us up with the food, but again it was sensibly chosen, and once I'd forced myself to eat some things, was back in the swing of things. We had beer again, which by now was becoming tiresome, weak as piss and only really serving as a belching aid (which wasn't really a bad thing given the state of my insides!). Interestingly the tech guy took about 10 calls during the meal, which made me quite happy, someone else getting it in the neck for a change... ha ha. I took a sneaky picture of the table on the way out, which I'll post up in the Asia album. It just shows the setup, rotating table and some decimated food. I had a nose at the live tanks in this place too *after* we'd eaten this time, and was perturbed to sturgeons swimming around in one of the tanks, these people really have no shame...

Luckily the drive from the restaurant to the airport was not as fraught with danger, I do not know if my stomach could have taken it! Lol. We said goodbye to our genial hosts and went into the smoggy airport (yup, it is even smoggy inside big buildings here!). We had to wait for our check in time, so sat with a welcome cold bottle of water and caught up on some work related conversation.

The airport had the same theme going on as the Beijing one, big groups of people standing randomly near other groups of people. This results in huge areas of the airport being wildly congested with people chatting (shouting as they seem to do when talking) and taking pictures of each other. The queue for the international departures looked horrendous, but it turned out that they were mostly relatives and friends here to wave people off (and take pictures).

We got through nice and quickly, checked in the bags, went through security and found a comfy chair near the air conditioning outlets... no sooner than I'd said "well, that was easy to get through today", than a man dressed in security uniform came running towards us in somewhat of a panic, waving and gesturing at SJ to come with him, urgent problem with his bag... I had cursed us. I followed along, as I had a funny feeling they had screwed up ticketing the bags with the right names (which had already happened once) and it was my now infamous can of Sure deodorant setting off the alarms again... we followed the running mad man back through security, where an amred guard took our passports from us and ushered us through (keeping the passports) and as we got closer to the check in desk, there it was, larger than life, my pesky blue suitcase! Sure as night is day, the can of deo had done it again (pun intended). I opened the bag for the girl, and did my now accustomed under arm spray act. The treated the thing with some suspicion and made several phone calls to the unseen boss to make sure it was ok to go through. It was cleared and I was going to remain clean smelling for at least another day until the next check in...what the hell have Sure made these damn cans from!!? Bastards!

We got back through check in and got our passports back, then had to get scanned and searched again to get back through to the lounge... what a larf. I can't wait for the next flight tomorrow night... I might have to ditch this stuff and just go smelly for the rest of the trip!

The flight was nice, as we booked so early we had discounted business class seats, which meant we were in comfort for the hour and a quarter flight to Korea. They brought some food out, which was a nice fresh meat sarnie with some salad, which was a real treat after eating nothing but Chinese for two days, lovely. SJ got some sleep and I shut my eyes briefly and relaxed. The staff by the way, on this flight were fantastic, and the whole demeanor and attitude of the Korean people in general is soooooo much nicer than the shouty Chinese folk. It was very relaxing to be in their company, and as a bonus the staff spoke great English. The girls in this flight wore tight cream coloured leather uniforms (honestly) with trousers or skirts and a jacket, with a light green and shiny blouse, and they were very pretty and made up beautifully... I wanted to take a picture really, but my only camera was on my phone and I couldn't be arsed to mess about with that. I have the very nice image in my head anyway, thats all that matters... :-p

Our bags came off first, which was nice and we were soon road side waiting for our lift. The weather here is horrible, absolutely pissing down, really hard. Apparently this is their raining season come late... great! We left super hot china in t shirts... lol

Our lift arrived and he had parked in an underground car park that was attached to the airport by a series of tunnels, so we didn't get wet. This airport is huuuuge by the way, very nicely laid out too. These people have build a superb infrastructure and are very very well organised. What a welcome relief it is from the chaos of China!

The drive from the airport to our hotel took ages, it was approx 60k. It was a nice comfy car though and we had a good chat with the tech services man from the company we are here to visit on route. His English is superb, although he needed to dig deep for some words as he is obviously out of practise. He tells us some good info on the city of Seoul too, and as we drive in the rain eases and we are treated to the site of this amazing city.

It is immense. Huge. Sprawling city. There are over 12 million people living here, and you can see where! There are some small island areas near the centre, like the Manhattan setup, which house the financial district, but the whole new city (the southern part) is simply breath taking, so big, so modern, so much to feast the eyes on. I really hope we get to take in some of the views tomorrow...

Our hotel is in the northern part of the city, which is the oldest part and surrounded by old style shops and buildings and is really bustling and busy, but clean and orderly. There seems to be a real respect here for law and order and for keeping the place working and looking good. A total contrast from Jinan!

We also got treated to a phone call from the boss of the company, welcoming us to the country, thanking us for coming and telling us how much he is looking forward to meeting with us tomorrow, which is a nice touch. These people are good. I'm so glad to be here after China.

The hotel is very nice, although the bell boy was a proper nause and got far to much in our faces, he was lucky to get a tip from SJ, I was going to punch the twat, but managed to get him out of my room before it got to that point... ;-)

We are actually in apartments, with a full kitchen and lots of furniture, a bit over the top really, and I think the cheap prices in China are going to be out weighed here...

We were lucky enough to find a German styled bar out the back of the hotel, and the atmosphere in there was relaxed and really nice. They had good (proper) beer and a great menu, so we treated ourselves to some big sausages and chips, what a welcome break from rice and slimy seafood stuff... hooray! We ate at the bar, drank a few beers, talked about nothing in particular, enjoyed the banter with the two Korean barman who spoke perfect English with a hint of an American accent and then headed off to bed. I had some tech support to sort out and my bloody work email is playing up too... Plus I sat here and waffled on for hours of course... But I feel that I would have just led in bed awake again anyway, so at least now I'm tired I will sleep when my head hits the pillow!!

Got a full day tomorrow, will be knackered tomorrow night! Might not log in tomorrow, we'll see how it goes... got meetings all day, with technical talk, followed by a commute and a two and a half hour flight to Taiwan at 19:15!

Thanks for reading! Get a life!

Chuurs
Sloggs

P.S. Please forgive me any spelling mistakes or shit grammar, I can't be arsed to read it all through! Lol :-p

P.P.S. some more pics added to the Asia album... :-)

Tags: Work

 

About sl0ggs

Me with the kids at Cawaro Village School during the Vitika Trek

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Korea

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.