Existing Member?

Sloggs' Travel Blog A journal of my travels in 2008 & beyond...

Missed 'message' story from day one! (and two!)

CHINA | Tuesday, 24 July 2007 | Views [1033] | Comments [1]

Ok, I missed a funny bit out from day one in China in my first report, so much stuff going on and I just forgot about it...

About 8pm local time, I'm chilling in my room, probably writing up day one of my trip! The phone rings, which takes me by surprise a bit... Maybe it was SJ calling about something because the mobile didn't work... pick it up and there is a female Chinese voice on the end of the line...

Her-"message?"
Me- "you have a message for me?"
Her-"Message? for love?" (or at least that's what I think I heard! You have to remember here, I'm a bit jet lagged and tired, plus being the little angel that I am, wouldn't have a clue about anything potentially 'seedy' going one. When I look back on this now, I realise just how bloody obvious it was! Lol!)
Me- "what is the message?"
Her- (getting confused) "message. for love?"
Me- (also confused!) "I don't have a message for you..."
Her- "huh?"
Me- "huh?"
Her- "message?"
Me- "what do you mean?"
Her- "Mean?"
Me- "what do you mean, message?"
Her- "mean? mean?" (she hands the phone to some other female who only knows a few English words)
Her- "message?"
Me- (getting pissy now) "I do not know what you mean!"
Her- *click the phone gets put down.

I carry on about my business, not really knowing what the chuff just happened...

Next morning SJ meets me for breakfast and says he had the same phone phone call (quell surprise!) and that he told them to go away or some such, they had actually awoken him from some much needed sleep... anyway, tens minutes later they are banging on his door... he wakes, and opens the door and in runs this little Chinese girls "massage, massage, you want massage" (the coin finally drops in my stupid head at this point), he ushers then out and goes back to sleep...

He said he contemplated sending her across the corridor to my room, knowing that I might required some of the 'services' this girl was probably offering, but he refrained. To be fair, how ever appealing the idea was (is) I had no cash on me, and she couldn't speak a word of Engrish (apart from bloody 'message'!), so it could of ended up being a rather tricky situation potentially, one which I have happily avoided...

What fun these travels are eh!

Day three to follow, it might not materialise until tomorrow though, I'm fucking knackered and it is now twenty to midnight here with another early start tomorrow and sod all sleep last night... bah!

Ciao!

Tags: Work

 

Comments

1

you're not experiencing the worst of the situation when offered such services.
it can really turn into an awefully embarrassing moment for foreigner here in the country...

  nnmsat Apr 15, 2008 2:37 AM

About sl0ggs

Me with the kids at Cawaro Village School during the Vitika Trek

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.