Existing Member?

On the Road "The purpose of life lies at the intersection of the heart's deepest desires, the mind's keenest talents, and the world's greatest needs."

World Water Day (almost) at the Aral Sea (almost)

UZBEKISTAN | Wednesday, 22 April 2009 | Views [4632] | Comments [2]

March 25: Moynaq

From Urgench, we hired a car into the depths of Karakal-Pakstan, the autonomous region that some Uzbeks refer to as the “Wild Wild West” due to alleged banditry. Residents of Karakal-Pakstan are ethnically and linguistically more similar to their northerly Kazakh neighbours than to Uzbeks. The land is extremely dry and salty, making for rather inhospitable conditions for any sort of agricultural production. The nature of poverty in an already resource-poor area became even more pronounced once we entered Moynaq, the formerly booming fishing town and my intended destination.

From the late 1800s to about 1970, Moynaq’s fishing industry supplied much of the former USSR with fish harvested from the then-mighty Aral Sea and produced in a nearby plant. The Aral Sea, fed by the Amu Darya (the river along the Tajik-Afghan and Turkmen-Uzbek borders) and the Syr Darya (along the Kazakh-Uzbek border), once spanned over 61 000 square kilometers but has been drastically reduced over the past few decades from a perfect storm of human-induced environmental devastation. In 1918, Soviet planners bled the Amu and Syr Daryas to establish extensive irrigation systems to quench the unending thirst of the desert and tap the potential of the “white gold” industry of cotton to meet the growing demands of the global textile industry. As is typical throughout the former Soviet Union, short-term interests in production trumped long-term environmental sustainability and the entire surrounding social and ecological systems are now suffering from the myopic greed of the Soviet machine.

The Aral Sea soon began drying up and is currently divided into three separate sections: the North Aral Sea and the east and west basins of the South Aral Sea. The North Aral Sea has been dammed in attempt to halt its draining, essentially leaving the South Aral Sea to evaporate alongside the socio-economic future of its residents. The South Sea is now too saline to support any fish and old fishing boats lie abandoned in the dry seabed, 160 km from the water’s edge. The dry seabed has created salty sandstorms which cause respiratory disease among the residents and devastate local biodiversity such as plant life which otherwise would serve a neutralizing effect. The people have very few economic opportunities but many feel like they cannot abandon their homes and generations of family history. Many have given up hope for themselves but strive for better futures for their children, such as sending them to schools in larger urban areas. As I stood among the creaking carcasses of fishing boats entombed by rust, the whipping sand stinging my eyes as much as the thought of the human and ecological devastation, I realized that I had just missed spending World Water Day (March 22nd) there...!

Current oil and gas exploration in the seabed and remaining sea have the potential to return the area to economic prosperity once again, though I have a feeling that any future profits will likely go straight into the pockets of the Chinese and Russian businessmen and Uzbek government officials. I have much more to say about this but have been asked by my friends in Uzbekistan not to publicize more details.

What I can say from personal experience is that the planned hydroelectric plant in Roghun, Tajikistan, will have further negative impact on the Aral Sea and all of the communities that rely on the Amu and Syr Daryas for basic subsistence. It is a difficult issue to navigate, particularly when weighing the socio-economic needs and priorities of one country over another. One thing is certain: water politics will take increasing precedence on the agendas of Central Asian leaders and activists in the years to come.

(See below for RFE/RL articles for a bit of the political context)



Can 'Wet' Countries Export Water To 'Dry' Ones?

Diverted water resources have left Kazakhstan's Aral Sea largely dry

March 21, 2009
By Charles Recknagel

As officials, activists, and entrepreneurs from 130 nations meet this week in Istanbul to seek better ways to manage the world's water problems, there is one solution under discussion that might seem obvious: exporting water from wet countries to dry ones.

Many parts of the northern hemisphere -- such as the sponge-like summer tundra of Siberia and Canada -- are soaked in water. But a few thousand kilometers south, the much more arid regions of Central Asia, North Africa, and the American southwest suffer regular water shortages and frequent droughts.

One recurring proposal is to build a 2,000 kilometer canal to send water from the Ob River in Siberia to the Aral Sea basin in Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan. The idea was first proposed in the 1960s and resurfaced as recently as 2002 in regional discussions.

Uzbekistan is particularly interested in such a possibility. The country, which is fed by rivers originating in Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan, is in constant dispute with its upstream neighbors because it wants more water. Its population is growing and its biggest cash crop, cotton, requires four to five tons of water for each ton of produce.

Parts of Europe suffer similar shortages. The European Commission is looking into the feasibility of sending water from the snow-capped Austrian Alps through pipelines to Spain and Greece.

And, separately, the same company that built the Suez Canal in the mid-1800s has proposed building a canal to take water from France's Rhone River to Barcelona.

Anders Berntell, executive director of the Stockholm International Water Institute, says all these ideas have merit. But they also have something else in common: huge price tags.

"Transferring water from a wet region to a dry region in general is at least one of the solutions that needs to be considered, but it is a very expensive solution," he said. "There are very high costs to building pipelines or constructing canals or whatever technical solution is chosen."

Additionally, he says, transnational projects require a lot of political will, not only to find the funding but also overcome what are usually strong local objections in the water-supplying country. People tend to feel possessive of their water resources, and they often fear that tinkering with them may create environmental problems for the future.

"What will be the downstream effect for ecosystems farther down the river?" Berntell asks. "We know that in many rivers there is already a rather big over-abstraction of water, resulting in very low water flows and in stress to ecosystems and stresses to downstream societies that, maybe, are deprived of possibilities to use the water resources. So, it is very site-specific and context-specific, and this is definitely something that has to be considered."

Regional Deals


Still, some smaller-scale, water-transfer efforts are going ahead.

Turkey has built a $150 million water export hub at the mouth of its Manavgat River, which flows into the Mediterranean near Antalya. Converted oil tankers fill up with either refined or unrefined water from the river and deliver it to regional buyers.

Israel signed a 20-year deal in 2002 to buy 50 million cubic meters of water a year by ship from Turkey for a price of up to $1 billion. Israel would prefer a pipeline that could deliver water steadily, but the pipeline would have to pass through its arch-enemy, Syria.

Given the many political and economic problems with transferring water, some experts recommend that countries explore less expensive ways to share their "blue gold." One is a formula known as benefit sharing.

Berntell explains: "If you have a situation where an upstream country has a lot of water and the downstream country has very good possibilities for food production, then maybe the upstream country can let more of its water go to the downstream country for the benefit of food production there and then, in a trade agreement with the downstream country, buy these food products at a subsidized price."

Benefit sharing is already being tried by some neighboring countries that joined by rivers. Among the most successful examples, Berntell says, are South Africa and landlocked Lesotho.

"Between South Africa and Lesotho there is an agreement where Lesotho has the dam, water is transferred to the Johannesburg area for use in the city and in the mining industry there, and South Africa pays quite a big sum to the state budget of Lesotho for receiving this water," Berntell said.

Could such a formula work for upstream countries like Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan and downstream countries like Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan?

As with proposals to transfer water from Siberia to Central Asia, the key factor is political will.

The difficulties of getting countries to share water resources should never be underestimated. But cooperating over existing rivers is certainly less expensive than creating rivers that never existed before.




Battle Lines Drawn In Central Asian Water Dispute

Tajikistan's Nurek Dam and Hydroelectric Station

April 19, 2009
By Bruce Pannier
Do countries have the right to use water flowing through their territory as they wish? Or do they have an obligation to consider the needs of neighbors living further downstream?

That's been a constant dilemma for the Central Asian states since they became independent after the Soviet break-up.

Much of Central Asia's water flows from the mountains of Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan, leaving downstream countries Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, and Turkmenistan dependent and worried about the effects of planned hydropower plants upstream.

"There are lots of discussions about water and energy going on among the Central Asian states. It seems that this process is fueled by some interested powers, who follow their own aims," Tajikistan's President Emomali Rahmon said in his annual speech to the nation on April 15, referring to Uzbekistan.

"They say that implementation of water-energy projects in Tajikistan will harm neighboring countries. In this regard I want to underscore once more that such points of view are absolutely baseless."

Uzbekistan has been waging a campaign against the construction of large hydropower stations in Kyrgyzstan (Kambar-Ata) and Tajikistan (Roghun), Soviet-era projects that were left incomplete when the USSR dissolved.

Tashkent fears that those two countries' use of water from Central Asia's two great rivers -- the Syr Darya and Amu Darya -- to generate power will diminish the amount reaching Uzbekistan, whose 28 million inhabitants to make up Central Asia's largest population.

"We think that all decisions on using a watercourse of trans-border rivers, including on building hydro-technical facilities, should not, under any circumstances, damage the environment and infringe the interests of people who live in the contiguous countries," the Uzbek state-run newspaper "Narodnoye slovo" quoted Boriy Alikhonov, acting head of the State Committee for Environmental Protection, as saying in December.

Downstream Alliance

Other officials say the people of Uzbekistan are suffering because Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan are depleting the water supply with their hydroelectric projects.

"In our republic, for those living by the Aral Sea [decreasing amounts of water in the river] has had very negative consequences that have affected the lives and health of millions of people," says Akbarkhon Magdiev, press secretary of the Liberal Democratic Party -- the largest faction in the Uzbek parliament. 

"Their lives and health are endangered due to this trans-border problem, especially in Karakalpakstan, Khworezm, Navoi, and Bukhara. Every moment they are experiencing health problems because of this trans-border river problem."

A hydroelectric power station in the Kyrgyz mountains
To address the issue, Uzbekistan has enlisted the help of its downstream neighbors.

In an rare example of regional diplomacy, Uzbek President Islam Karimov contacted his counterparts in Kazakhstan and Turkmenistan, convincing them of the threat from the Kyrgyz and Tajik hydropower projects.

Uzbekistan's Foreign Ministry released a statement on April 14 describing the Kambar-Ata and Roghun projects as reflecting "the best Soviet traditions of uncontrolled violence against nature." The Uzbek Foreign Ministry said: "Any decision that does not take into account the interests of neighbors will further aggravate the situation with water supply" and "may adversely affect the living conditions of tens of millions of people in Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, and Turkmenistan."

The Uzbek Foreign Ministry statement stressed that "third countries' interference in Central Asia's water and energy problems is inadmissible," but then added there was a "need to carry out an international examination of all hydro-energy projects on trans-border rivers without fail, under UN aegis."

Analysts say the water issue has also become a top priority for Turkmenistan's president.

"The problem of water has become a serious issue for the [Turkmen] government. The president now has to consider this problem on the same level as other strategic state tasks," says Alexander Narodetsky, a Britain-based specialist on Turkmenistan, adding that water issues have become "a regular topic" in talks between Turkmen President Gurbanguly Berdymukhammedov and his counterparts in Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan. 

"The people of Turkmenistan well understand why their president is talking about this. Since ancient times it has been considered wise and necessary to try not to lose one single drop of moisture [in Turkmenistan]," Narodetsky adds.

Sovereign Rights

Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan say their neighbors' worries are unfounded.

Speaking to reporters in Bishkek on April 15, Bazarbai Mambetov, an expert on energy and water issues and a former deputy Kyrgyz prime minister, denied that his country is reducing the amount of water flowing downstream.

"Inasmuch as the water resources originate on the territory of Kyrgyzstan, Kyrgyzstan can also declare its sovereign rights on water resources," Mambetov said. "[But] I want to say to our Uzbek brothers, and to Kazakhstan, which has also made policy statements about this issue recently, that never in the last 30 years, never, have we reduced the amount of water flowing from the [tributary of the Syr Darya, the Naryn] river."

Tajik President Rahmon said his country would never leave neighboring countries without water. But he added that Tajik authorities "cannot be inattentive to our people who continue to suffer and face difficulties related to the shortage of electricity in winter for more than 15 years."

Likewise, Deputy Tajik Foreign Minister Abdullo Yuldoshev has said that "water should serve as a blessing to all the people of the states of Central Asia," but added that Tajikistan "will fight for our national interests, which in no way hurt of limit the interests of our neighbors whose territories are located further downstream on the Amu Darya."

Energy Issues

Cash-strapped Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan cannot afford to pay the prices their neighbors --  all of which possess large reserves of oil or natural gas (or both) -- seek for energy supplies, so winter power rationing has become a way of life in the two countries.

Hydropower is their only hope of becoming energy independent. Both countries also argue they bear the full financial brunt of maintaining the reservoirs that control the flow of water and help prevent flooding in downstream countries.

Within last two years, Uzbekistan increased its gas price to Kyrgyzstan five times. How should Kyrgyzstan react to this? This is the geopolitics in Central Asia.
Kyrgyzstan's Mambetov saya his country has the right to sell water considering the energy export policies of one neighbor. "Uzbekistan is selling its gas to Kyrgyzstan for $240 per 1,000 cubic meters, but at the same time, Uzbeks are selling it to Kazakhstan for only $84," he says.

"Within last two years, Uzbekistan increased its gas price to Kyrgyzstan five times. How should Kyrgyzstan react to this? This is the geopolitics in Central Asia."

Previous attempts to provide Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan with energy supplies as compensation for their maintenance of reservoirs quickly fell apart. Last year, Kyrgyzstan proposed treating water as a commodity and selling it, but that drew a strongly negative response from Uzbekistan. Tashkent maintains the position that water belongs to all and cannot be sold or traded.

Delegates at a conference on "European Union-Central Asian: Building an Energy Security Relationship" in Prague on April 16 discussed the issue and said they were anxious to help promote regional stability in Central Asia and offer solutions to problems such as the water issue.

The delegates advocated the construction of mini-hydropower plants, which would be more environmentally friendly. Tajik President Rahmon in his speech announced plans for 50 new mini-plants.

Juerg Staudenmann, a policy adviser for water governance at the UNDP regional center in Bratislava, says the organization is also trying to help the Central Asian states resolve their water problem amicably.

"We are very much involved in issues regarding water governance in Central Asia," Staudenmann says. "We are right now, for example, starting a new program together with the European Commission on integrated water resource management.... We are working in all the five countries of Central Asia through our country offices on all kinds of different aspects of water and energy issues."

The big showdown between Central Asia's upstream and downstream countries appears to be set for April 28, when an international conference on saving the Aral Sea is to be held in Almaty.

The two great rivers of Central Asia once fed the Aral Sea but now water from the Amu Darya barely reaches the desiccating sea and the Syr Darya now dies out in the steppe of Kazakhstan far from the Aral. But the Central Asian oil and gas barons may find it difficult to force Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan to shelve their hydropower plans since Russia and Iran are the main investors in Kyrgyz and Tajik projects.

RFE/RL Kazakh Service director Edige Magauin, Kyrgyz Service director Tynchtykbek Tchoroev, Bubukan Dosalieva of the Kyrgyz Service, Iskander Aliev and Tohir Safarov of the Tajik Service, Turkmen Service director Oguljamal Yazliyeva, and Shukrat Babajanov of the Uzbek Service contributed to this report

 

Comments

1

Unbelievable that you should advocate for more water diversions throughout Europe when first hand you see what this has done to devestate the environment in the Aral Sea region. You should be ashamed. People are suffering and dying from this ignorant grand scale decimation of a natural resource.

Shouldn't you be looking at ways to conserve and return the water to the Aral Sea? Why send more water to the cotton fields that exploit children and use too many pesticides?

  Mary LaFrance Aug 18, 2009 6:46 AM

2

Hi Mary,

Thanks for taking the time to read this post. I'm not sure why you think that I'm advocating for draining the Aral Sea even more - perhaps you got that from the articles that I simply copied and pasted for people to see a bit more of the political and economic context from a professional journalist's point of view. I can assure you however that I am in no way advocating for anything that results in environmental degradation and human suffering. I was asked by Uzbek friends who brought me to the Aral Sea to avoid discussing my own political opinions in detail since they could be endangered by their own government for helping me in-country. I can definitely say though that I completely agree with you - all stakeholders involved in Central Asia and beyond should be working towards conservation agriculture, sustainable water management, and fair working conditions for local labourers - not the opposite.

Thanks again and keep reading and discussing!

  shrummer16 Aug 30, 2009 3:45 AM

About shrummer16


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Uzbekistan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.