Existing Member?

China in a nut shell My dealings with China

MEGA UPDATE

CHINA | Saturday, 9 October 2010 | Views [668] | Comments [4]

Right i am going to try and catch all the time that has been lost with hazy stories with massive plot holes...them being the times i cannot remember due to alcohol or time taking its toll. 

Gestapo! I haven't said much recently have i. Well from the screen golfing: it was pretty good fun. really new to me. I had to play right handed which did not go well but it's the experience that matters, i know there will be lots more  of it because it is so close. Played with Graham a Canadian teacher who works in a close by school.

Since then i have really been making good use of my time. I have seen quite a few sites, quite a few bars and far too many drinks. I make up for all this well spent time by forgetting a large percentage thanks to the afore mentioned drinks.

I went to a Chinese college. I followed Crystal there and i got to see a really different side of china. Her college is like 30 mins away by bus but it took us into the outskirts of Huizhou. A lot more shanty's and such likes. Th college itself was practically brand new. We got a motorbike taxi to her older part of college which took us down some seriously stereotypical china. Small rice fields and thatched hats, very slow and relaxed. Another great day (the company was easy on the eyes too). Got talked to by a lot of students at school and i was told i was very special. The Chinese are mental apparently.

Red flower lake: I is this really nice set of ponds that at the right time of year are full of massive 'red flowers' i assume they are water Lilly's of some sort. I didn't worry about it too much. I went in the morning with a few of the Chinese teachers from school. The weather was HOT and the place was busy, it being a national holiday (founders day). It looked great and it was nice to see the Chinese teachers outside of work, they are really nice and try very hard with their English. I have photo's on the way but they are in another camera right now.

West Lake (take1): After Red Flower lake we decided to go to west lake to see what it had to offer (the Chinese teachers had all been of course but they took me and rosanna about anyways). Very busy but not a problem, tons of staring of course. Really beatiful, photo's from the first trip here to come as well! Got to spend some good time talking to Crystal so maybe progress? i don't anything will come of it but gotta stay positive. Nice statues of famous poets, good touristy stuff a plenty. Option to go up this old tower but the Chinese teachers weren't up for it. Choice to go out on a mini boat but Chinese teachers weren't up for it. Really relaxed though which was nice.

West Lake (take2): This time (the next day) Rosanna, Graham, Jules and i went back. Busy again but not so much. This time we did everything we didn't do yesterday. Being British came in very handy when it came to the tower. Massive queue encircling the tower we were going up. A very enjoyable 45 minutes queuing and i was ready queue for longer but alas our time in the stupid tower was here. It was a tall bad boy and great views from every window. Photo's are up from this trip. After that we wandered around the grounds and saw some amazing building and OLD Chinese art. Moving off the mountain we went to this 'museum' and oh my god. I couldn't believe my eyes. It might actually have been the worst thing i have ever seen ever, worse than anything you can imagine. think about it, this was still worse. Few photos to b seen because nothing could capture the horrors to be had in there. After this we went boating which was much better. Very relaxing with some great picture taking opportunities. Wasted on me however i just enjoyed looking, apologize to everyone reading. 

Before and after these actual sight seeing events i went to a few bars and did some serious partying. Graham and Jules have decided that paying for only one round is required for a night out. They go off and table hot until a wealthy Chinese wants to buy us all booze, fine by me! I have now been in the VIP section of the 3 biggest clubs in Huizhou which are pretty awesome. Everything is in the same bar area but just controlled entry and much more expensive feeling. Although it was mostly awesome there is some bad memories. One time in the VIP the guy who was paying swaggered up to me and demanded i dance, making feel really cheap and whoreish. Worth the free booze but still i felt very cheap. Recently i went out and unfortunately lost my phone so please don't call me! i'm saying this just in case.....i have never lost a phone before and haven't pitied people who have but now its all different. I now see how bad a thing it is. Sorry people i didn't feel sorry for, i am sorry.

School! Yes school i forgot about her. She is a fine beast. Really enjoying teaching, can be tough at times but it is also really fun. I think i got a good school because not many others seem to get on with their Chinese teachers as well as us. Most of my kids are awesome. Chinese is coming along really slowly. Really wanting some lessons but now that things are settling down maybe i will be able to work a few in.

I think this covers most outings to date.

OH! played some table tennis with Rosanna and some badminton today with the school. Haven't run in a week because of work and hangovers. Back into it tomorrow hopefully...maybe. The weather seems to be cooling down now, to around 27-28 which is actually a noticeable difference.

I want to hear back from some of you readers! Even leave a freaking anon comment, i have no U.K. knowings of the goings on. BLARG!

Tags: china, clubs, drinking, red flower lake, sports, west lake

Comments

1

Yow know better than that! nothing happens here...
I finished my masters! yaaaaaaay. I'll let you know if i pass :P
I love the thought of you dancing for your freee drink. It calls to mind the episode of 30 rock where Liz danced for her flu shot :P

  cat Oct 10, 2010 2:01 AM

2

Sounds like you are making the most of your experience Sam - that's great! Not much going on here - all quiet and boring compared to you! Stephanie Croy got married on Telford Bridge today - weather was lovely so she was very lucky.

Went for a walk with your MUm and CRistal today - Crital looking much better!

Take Care Beth

  Ken and Beth Oct 10, 2010 3:05 AM

3

ok i need details of the type of horrors in the museum. Sounds like super days out.

Love Mum xx

  Mum Oct 11, 2010 1:54 AM

4

Hey Sam, good to hear you got some work doing something you enjoy. Stay Safe :)

ZuB.

  ZuB Oct 11, 2010 5:37 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.