Existing Member?

Living Outside the Box What is freedom for if not the chance to define for yourself who you are?

February 28 - No Ordinary Day: Handbag Stolen

VIETNAM | Tuesday, 1 March 2011 | Views [519]

What started off as an ordinary day changed drastically at 12:45pm in a matter of 60 seconds.  Most likely less than that when the actual crime of grabbing the handbag probably only took 10 seconds, if that.

They say people have an outer body experience when trauma occurs and this did happen to me.  I was above looking down on a young man running like crazy to a brick wall while the victim was running behind yelling STOP.

What was done was done.  I have spent the rest of the day filing a police report with the help of the hotel staff and they have been above and beyond helpful, going to the Vietnam Immigration office to find out they just closed for the day, getting passport photos taken, and making a few calls.  Thanks also go out to Ben, another traveler at the hotel who extended some money so I could get through the day.

I still have a pit in my stomach realizing how stupid I was to let my guard down and to have all my separate little bags of money and such in one bag alonging with my camera and phone. 

I am thankful there was no physical contact or injuries.  I can handle the hassle of replacing material things.  I am also thankful for having done the yoga and meditation class to help me keep my head level and my spirit high.

Another blessing was to have previous dinner plans with a supportive Swiss couple I met in Luang Prabang.

I am also very grateful to be having a friend from CA fly in tonight.  After the leg work tomorrow, everything should be OK to start our Sapa trip.

By the way, calling collect outside the USA is not an easy thing to do and from what I read about making these calls, it can't be done from Vietnam because there is no international operator.

It is 9:45pm and I will try to sleep. 

 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.