Existing Member?

Living Outside the Box What is freedom for if not the chance to define for yourself who you are?

February 26 - The Vibe of Hanoi

VIETNAM | Saturday, 26 February 2011 | Views [685]

There is a vibe around Hanoi and particualry around Hoan Kiem Lake bordering the Old Quarter.  People are up early here, except the night manager at my guest house where the front door remained locked until I finally had to make a wake up call.  I didn't think 6am would be an odd time to leave the building, the other hotels next door where open and tourists were coming and going.  I don't enjoy feeling trapped like that especially when I already prepared myself mentally to head out early.  Making the best of the situation, I chilled, made tea, and read about Kep and Kampot in Cambodia as possible destinations after Vietnam.  By 6:45am I wanted out and called the front desk.

With freedom on the other side of the door I walked to the lake and marveled at all the activities.  THese people put Los Gatos and Boulder and other fit cities to shame when it comes to doing things outdoors.  Mostly the older folks are out doing tai chi, stretching, serious badminton, the tango, weight lifting, zumba, running, the fan and sword movements, and brisk walking.  I would have loved to join a group doing tai chi and I might tomorrow.

What wonderful energy to be in at the start of each day.  This "vibe" is a reflection of a sculpture on the east side of the lake.  It is two hands holding up the earth with a dove on top and Vietnam boldly highlighted in red.  With people coming together in nature to be active promotes peace on an individual level and at large.  We can all learn something from this.

To be continued.

 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.