Existing Member?

Living Outside the Box What is freedom for if not the chance to define for yourself who you are?

Feb 1, Nong Khai

THAILAND | Thursday, 3 February 2011 | Views [367]

The time is 10:20am and I have been in Nong Khai (NK) for an hour now.  It is definitely not Kansas.  This dusty and polluted little town rests on, the alsp dirty and polluted, Mekong River.  The land is flat and today with it being a gray and dingy day, the land and the sky share no boundary.  The air and noise pollution seems to be mostly coming from all the motorcycles, tuk tuks, taxis and buses.  The pollution is having a pronounced affect on my mental state and the fact I just came from an overnight bus journey from Chiang Mai to Udorn Thani where most riders jumped off that bus at 6:45am and hopped on another bus for a departure at 7:15 to NK but then waited in the death chamber bus park filled with idling bus exhaust only to be driven around the block to wait until 8am for other passengers, nearly put me over the edge.

To top it off, my GI tract still gets bouts of gas that seem to come from nowhere and that happened while waiting in all the exhaust.  As you might be reading between the lines, this is not one of my best top 10 places to hang out.

Good thing I am here for yoga and not to hang out.  To be continued...

My daily schedule:

Looks like my routine will be 7am - 10 am yoga, shower,  a walk into town to eat at a soup place I like, then tea at a stall where the owner knits, letter writing, back for the 2-3pm meditation followed by the 3-7pm yoga, then shower, some fruit, and lastly, some computer time.  After being with people for over 2 weeks at the Elephant nature park I am feeling introverted and I am happy with that - it goes along with the yoga class.

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.