Existing Member?

Living Outside the Box What is freedom for if not the chance to define for yourself who you are?

Ireland 2010 - Part 1

IRELAND | Monday, 2 August 2010 | Views [423]

Isn't Ireland great - you can pour your own pint of Guinness!

Isn't Ireland great - you can pour your own pint of Guinness!

I can always count on Ireland to be cold and wet with some sun.  This is my fourth trip to Ireland and the third time coming in June/July and every trip has been a mixed bag, but mostly cold and damp.  From what the locals tell me this year, May and June were sunny and hot and that was probably their summer.  Fall has set in and no complaints from me because I am still in a deficit for stormy and cold weather.

My summer plans did not include a stopover but with my sister’s unexpected gall bladder surgery in Killarney, Ireland, I changed a few tickets and here I am for a whole month.  Because I didn’t come here for vacation I am not in vacation mode to spend vacation Euros.  Instead I am trying to catch up on trip letters and to plan a few trips for next year.  In between sessions at the computer I do take advantage of being in one of the top ten tourist destination in Ireland.  The Killarney National Park is an easy walk from my sister’s place and it offers a castle, a manor house, boat rides, gap walks, and walking trails.  So far I have only been caught once in a down pour.    Besides these local activities, in the past we have climbed Skellig Micheal, stayed at a cottage outside of Galway, had a fancy spa treatment, took a boat to Aran Island and climbed Torc Mountain.  And this is only scratching the surface.  I know there will be more to explore once we get the ball rolling.

 The ball has rolled and we covered a lot of ground.

·         Dingle peninsula by car: farmer’s market, the famous Dan Foley’s Pub, beehive huts where Far and Away was filmed, a funky organic restaurant called Phoenix

·         County Mayo: Bunratty castle, Durty Nelly’s, Mount Falcon Manor House for afternoon tea, Healy’s Fishing Lodge, Westport, Cronin’s SheeBeen’s pub, climbing Croagh Patrick the day before Reek Sunday when over 20,000 pilgrims would be making the pilgrimage, some barefoot, the beach at Enniscrone, River Moy famous for salmon, pouring our own pints of Guinness, driving along the coast to Downpatrick Head, seeming the remenants of a concrete battle ship, admiring the thatched cottages in Adare

·         Killarney: hotel castle, a sunny day,a 14 mile walk with a local walking club, a walk along Rossbeigh beach, a horse fair at the infamous Puck Fair.

·         Solo road trip to Dingle: (details to follow)

 

 

Travel Answers about Ireland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.