Existing Member?

Living Outside the Box What is freedom for if not the chance to define for yourself who you are?

Hiking the Alps - Switzerland Part 3

SWITZERLAND | Thursday, 22 July 2010 | Views [984]

The final segment of the Alp Triangle Wanderweg was to Switzerland.  From the Stuttgart area it only took about 4 hours to get down there and what surprised me the most, more so than the high prices, was all the tunnels to drive through.  We made a brief stop in Interlaken to change money and splurge on a coffee for 5.50 francs.  The heat of the day quickly blew away with the afternoon winds kicking up signaling a rain shower that was soon to come.  By the time we drove to Grindelwald the rain was heavy.  We found another wonderful camping facility by a river and waited out the passing storm.  Parts of the town and the surrounding views are pretty enough but this would not be a place I would want to stay for any length of time.

The next day we waited until 11am, more rain showers, to take the lift up to First Station (7113 feet).  The weather wasn’t ideal but good enough for walking.  We were awarded a very beautiful afternoon bathed in sunshine.  The walk took us from above tree line back down into the woods and this trail was also steep.  Both of us were singing, telling jokes, and making up stories to keep our mind off the pain.  We finished about 5pm and the next rain shower made us retreat to our next destination.

Stechelberg is also located in the Jungfrau region but up another glacial valley.  This valley was lovely and is known for waterfalls.  There are 72 of them but some are inside the mountains.  Again, we found another great camping facility with waterfalls close by.  After a long hike, it didn’t take much to convince me to call it quits about 9pm.

The next day we packed our overnight bags and took the lift up to Gimmelwald.  We reserved the last room available at the Mitterhorn Hotel.  This place is highly recommended by Rick Steves and with 95% of the guests coming here because of good ole Rick, I wonder if Rick gets a free night every now and then.  After leaving our overnight bag at the hotel, we took the long way to Murren by following a cow path that went down a steep slope and after that I declare no more cow trails for the rest of the day.  Murren is a bigger town than Gimmelwald and also a nice place to spend a few hours strolling around taking photos.  We enjoyed the evening meal at the Mitterhorn with the other guests. One thing about the hotel that was odd was you had to pay for the hot water to take a shower.  It is a common shower and I decided to beat the afternoon crowds by taking one around 4pm.  No one mentioned this pay system so you can imagine my surprise when I was already to turn on the water and noticed the sign.  Without any change on me I had to go back to the room to find change.  We didn’t have change requiring Dan to walk down into town to find some.  He was smart and changed a 10 franc bill and was able to help out others also stuck without change.

I slept with one eye open to admire the views of the Jungfrau, the Monch, and the Eiger peaks outside the window.  The next morning I did not want to leave the bed and the views but it was time to move on to take the last walk in the alps.  We took the train from Murren to Allmendhubel and walked the North Face trail.  The fields of wildflowers were spectacular.  I read once the miracle on earth is to walk and I would agree to be able to walk among wildflowers with these majestic mountains an arm’s length away is a miracle.

The last night of the tour we stayed at Camping Jungfrau.  These facilities were amazing.  Everything was clean and well maintained.  Music was even piped into the shower rooms.  The location is excellent with an easy walk into Lauterbrunner in one direction and a nice valley walk in the other direction with waterfalls everywhere.  What is nice about this spot is it looks like a national park without the crowds.  Staying here for 3 months would be ideal and this place is also opened year round.  Of course the last morning was bright and sunny and this would have been the day to take the lift to Schilthorn (9748 feet) for mountain views but for 100 franc each, we had to think twice.  We will have to use our imagination.  I agree with Rick that the Gimmelwald area is a top pick for European destination.

 

 

Travel Answers about Switzerland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.