Existing Member?

Romodessey

Berlin

GERMANY | Monday, 8 September 2008 | Views [687]

Brandenburg Gate

Brandenburg Gate

travel to

travelling to Berlin meant a night train from Malmo (Sweden) which meant i spent the whole day pretty much straight travelling (Oslo-Guthenburg-Malmo) – uneventful except for the f'd up Swedish train from Guthenburg to Malmo where i crammed myself into a seat (i had no reservation and it seemed everyone else did) in a 2nd class car where the air-con wasn't working. Pure hell until i asked the conductor if it was all right to stay in my seat without a reservation. she looked at me strange and then said – “yes if you want to” (no one had reserved my seat) – 'but there are still seats in 1st class in the other “non-reservable” train”. Needless to say i relocated to the “other train” (which was just another couple of cars joined onto my car) into an oasis of air-conditioned, uncrowded bliss. The intricacies of train travel! The only other person in my car was a fellow Eurailer (farmer from Mississippi taking a month off from the wife and kids) who it turned out was also going to Berlin and had been staying in the same hostel as me the night previously. The world is damn small i tell you.


Slept through most of the train ride from Malmo to Berlin apart from a few minutes on the ferry to Rostock to take some sunset pics (the sun setting was a brilliant event to me – having spent so much time up north). At about 2am we were rudely awoken by various screeching, bumping, grinding noises as the train got off the ferry – at a snail's pace. Then, after getting rudely awoken again at 5am (this time by the heavy-fisted conductor), i disembarked at Berlin at about 6am.

Miraculously most of the train station was open and i managed to navigate the Metro and successfully arrive at Heart of Gold hostel where i was kindly offered COFFEE and a FREE breakfast.


Touristic tales

Once fully awake (about lunch time) i hit the town, armed with copious brochures. After a ride on the tourist tram line i did a 4 hour free (tips only) guided walk with a fantastic tour company (Sandemans New Berlin i think it was called). Was a great way to see a bit of Berlin (we went to most of the sights) without much effort. Plus our guide Dave gave us heaps of inside info including a history lesson (which is pretty important in Berlin). My favourite bit was seeing the site of Hitler's bunker – gloriously enough it is now a carpark for an apartment building (incidently – the ex-apartments of S.S. and Gestapo officers). Most of Berlin is like that – a seemingly innocent building or street – just brimming with history.


I was really impressed with the way Berlin is handling it's heavy history. Instead of trying to hide it there are huge, bright display panels all over the city complete with black and white photos and information in several languages. Most of it is to do with the Berlin wall and the background behind it (scattered all over the city along the sites that the wall once occupied) but there is also the Topography of Terror display all about the Nazis and the 2nd World war. The info is hard-hitting and there were a lot of tourists around looking solemn and sad.

When you combine all that info with impressive monuments such as the Denkmal fur die ermordeten Juden Europas (memorial to the murdered jews of Europe) it is hard not to be moved.


To top that off, the next day i decided to do Sandemans tour of Sachsenhausen concentration camp (the closest camp to Berlin). It was a grey day, the perfect backdrop to Sachsenhausen's desolate, haunting landscape and to a depressingly solemn day.

Our guide, Maria, was writing a book about Sachsenhausen so she was full of knowledge about its history. The more she revealed the more the horror grew until shock and disgust graced everyone's faces. I won't go into all the details but some amazingly sick things went on – by both the nazis and the soviets (they took over the place when East Berlin was given to them as WWII spoils). As an example – the Nazi's made one prisoner (who had been so starved he'd filched a finger full of butter from the prison officers' dinner) eat butter by the pound and then strung him up and left him to die.

The ghosts can definitely still be felt in the place, especially in Station Z (the execution block) and the pathology lab.

So strong is the power of Sachsenhausen that it makes you feel guilty, feel ashamed to be part of a human race that could be so incredibly cruel.


I have to say i learned a lot in Berlin. Ok, most of it was of a depressing note but there are some incredibly inspiring stories too – such as the story of the wall coming down in 1989. My unlearned summary – basically it came down to a GDR speaker not pre-reading his notes at a press conference, announcing to the world that yes the borders would be opened...when asked when...he glances at the date on his bit of paper and says...ugghh...today. Doh! And then the locals started tearing down the wall. Pretty amazing to be able to stand on the spot where it happened. There is some pretty cool art on the remaining bits of the wall too.


On another positive note – Berlin has a lot a really really pretty old stuff (yep – i know my english is declining from lack of use), e.g. the Bradenburg gate, Reichstag, and all the Museumsinsel buildings...And, some great modern architecture – on both the East and the West sides. It's incredible how well the city has coped with morphing hideous Communist concrete block architecture with totally capitalist flashy malls, skyscrapers e.t.c.

Oh and then there's all the food places – ok, i only at ethnic food but the Thai curry and the falafels I had were primo!

It is a cool place – you should go!

 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.