Existing Member?

Alicia & Rich's Roads to Everywhere London to Australia on the route less traveled

Life in Melbourne

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 30 September 2009 | Views [441]

We've been in Melbs for a couple of months now and we're ecstatic to see that the weather is (slowly) starting to heat up.

By now we've learned what it means to be true Melbournians. We've explored the bars and cafes of the back streets of the CBD, we've become regular market-goers and we've got a beach 3km away from our flat. Most importantly we've been to an AFL match at "The G" (The MCG - The Melbourne Cricket Ground).

AFL

The MCG is a big deal here. It's the largest stadium in Australia and is the spiritual home of Australian sport. Summer is for cricket, but now it's winter and it's packed each week for AFL (Australian Football League), or "Aussie Rules" as I'd always known it. It's a strange sport, and yet another variant code which comes under the Football banner. Probably most similar to Gaelic Football, but they use moves from soccer, basketball, volleyball and rugby. Alicia thinks it looks simple and a bit boring, but once you understand it, it's awesome to watch live. The biggest match of the year is the AFL Grand Final (the Australian Superbowl!) which happens on the last Saturday in September - yet another afternoon of BBQ and beers.

Markets

There are markets all over Melbourne. Where we live, we're equidistant between the South Melbourne and Queen Victoria markets. Queen Vic being the biggest and most popular. We go to one of them pretty much every week, for two reasons. First, it's soooo much cheaper than buying food from the supermarket. And second, it makes food shopping a lot more interesting when you have such an amazing range in front of you. The fruit and veg section has every fruit, veg, herb, spice you could think of and when things are in season they sell for pennies! The meat and fish section is stocked with an amazing selection of fresh seafood, chicken, mince, sausage and the best looking steaks around. This market makes you want to become a master chef!

Bars & Cafes

The cafe culture of Melbourne is famous and rightly so. There are hundreds of little cafes dotted around the city. Some boast award winning barristers who put designs in the cappuccinos and most cafes serve up really creamy, foamy delicious coffees. We're never hard pressed to find a great latte in the mornings.

And at night we've stumbled across some great little bars, mainly hidden away down little streets. In some cities you avoid the alleys but in Melbourne, you embrace them, because this is where you find the hidden gems. Cool hip bars, quaint little coves, British style pubs, they've got it all and we intend to check out each and every one.

Beaches

We haven't been swimming yet, but on the warm sunny days we've taken a 15min tram ride down to St Kilda beach. It's a cool little area with market vendors, good food and Luna Park, a fair ground that makes you think you've gone back to 1950's.

Queen Victoria Market

Queen Victoria Market

 

About rich


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.