Existing Member?

Alicia & Rich's Roads to Everywhere London to Australia on the route less traveled

La Boca

ARGENTINA | Friday, 30 January 2009 | Views [547]

On the outskirts of the city lies the barrio of La Boca. The busiest street is called Caminita and this is where you can find all the multicolored properties for which the area is famous. We learn that the paint used for these houses is leftover from re-touching the ships that dock just at the end of the road. It is the waste from these ships and a general lack of sanitation in the area that has led to La Boca becoming known for a terrible smell. During our visit though, no such smell materialises, much to our relief.

There is a local football (soccer) team called Boca Juniors and it is here that the filthy cheat Maradona started his playing career. Boca Juniors’ closest rivals, River Plate, love to poke fun at Boca Juniors for two main reasons: 1. the stink in La Boca, and 2. Maradona’s weight. I don’t know about the stink, but I’m happy to go along with the other one! (-Rich)

We go on a Sunday to catch the market, and while we’re there, visit a couple of the museums and art galleries. Frankly, the market itself is not hugely different from that of San Telmo, but what they do have are some excellent tango dancers on display. Also, the brightly coloured houses, and the Museo de Bella Artes make it a really good day out. My only advice is to avoid the historical wax museum - it’s as bad as it sounds.

The general advice is not to hang about in La Boca after dark. Apparently the area empties, and even the police pack up and leave. Not a problem for us though, we’re done way before the 9pm sunset. In fact, if we hurry, we can still make it over to San Telmo for the end of their market. Alicia’s got her eye on a bag she saw last week…

 

About rich


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.