Existing Member?

Alicia & Rich's Roads to Everywhere London to Australia on the route less traveled

Zanzibar - Kendwa Beach

TANZANIA | Tuesday, 18 November 2008 | Views [1033]

Ok so it's wishful thinking to stay here forever, but we did meet a guy who had famously (ok, maybe not famously) arrived at Kendwa on a two week holiday, but he ended up falling in love with the place, quiting his job, in Texas, by email, and is still there three months on...with no plans of ever leaving.

Just along the beach from our hotel is Kendwa Rocks, a huge backpackers place, and this is where our new friend from the shared taxi, Mike, decides to stay. We end up spending most of our time here, hanging with Mike and coming across characters such as Captain Tiger (aka "Mr Solution", aka "Tiger Shark", aka "The Best of The Best") and the friendly neighborhood Ganja dealer, who teaches us how to chilax.

The Full Moon Party actually turns out to be quite tame, but it's cool to party with fellow travellers and the locals in the incredibly bright moonlight.

Over the coming days, we take the opportunity to go snorkelling (with Captain Tiger) just off a nearby private island called Mnemba, which is awesome. And we visit the next beach along: Nungwi (also excellent). Other than that, we pretty much just laze around and enjoy the uninterupted utopia. Another beer sir? Don't mind if I do...

Alicia resting on the boat before snorkeling

Alicia resting on the boat before snorkeling

 

About rich


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.