Existing Member?

Alicia & Rich's Roads to Everywhere London to Australia on the route less traveled

First Night in the Mara

KENYA | Friday, 31 October 2008 | Views [517]

After an exciting safari ride, we head back to the Hippo lodge to drop off Aziz and Bobbi, then George drives us down the road to our campsite.

By now it's turned dark and all we see are a few lights faintly illuminating 30 tents. As George stops the van I look outside, it's dark, it's quiet, it's empty and I'm filled with dread. Rich jumps out and starts unloading our stuff. I reluctantly get out and start looking around for animals that might want to have me for their dinner. A Masai guard looks after the camp and he shows us to our tent. I look inside and although its dark, there is the outline of two twin beds and it looks like there's just enough room to stand if you're in the very middle of the tent.

Our safari package includes meals at the lodge and I'm anxious to get back to normal civilization. So we quickly change into some warmer clothes because the Mara gets cool at night. All the while I'm wondering why we're the only ones at the campsite and who will protect us if an elephant decides to wonder through. Before heading to the lodge we take a quick look at the toilets and showers, or should I the hole in the ground and the corroded metal pipe hanging over a concrete slab. I'm not staying here.

Our Masai guard leads us to the lodge. We're not allowed to leave the campsite without a guard in case an animal does try to attack us. I feel much better as soon as I see the bright lights of the lodge, the restaurant with tables and chairs, the bar with comfy couches and people, ah civilisation.

As we walk pass the sofas I tell Rich, this is where I'm sleeping tonight. I'm not going back to that campsite. He laughs and gets us drinks as I join Bobbi and Aziz, who look refreshed and relaxed. It must show clearly on my face that I'm bothered because as soon as I sit down, Bobbi asks me whats wrong. I explain about the empty campsite and the horrible bathrooms and they agree, we can't stay there. Why not stay in the lodge? It's pretty empty. There are a lot of free rooms. We should speak to the management and strike a deal. I'm so glad I found people to take my side, but it wasn't too hard to convince Rich. Although he likes camping, he didn't want to stay at that campsite anymore then I did.

With the help of Aziz (he speaks Swahili and put a good word into the management for us) we were able to get a room at the lodge. It only cost us $140 for two nights. I say only, but that was extra on top of what we already paid. There goes our budget!

The rest of the evening was wonderful, my mood was lifted knowing I was sleeping in a safe, clean environment. We all ate dinner together and Aziz surprised Bobbi with a birthday cake. We went back to the campsite one last time to get our belongings and when we got to the lodge, several Masai were there to help us take our things to the room. We ended the evening sharing wine in celebration of Bobbi's birthday.

At 10:30pm all the lights at the lodge blinked and at 11:00 all the lights were turned off. All their electricity is run on a generator, which is expensive, so they turn it off at night. Nice of them to warn us. I guess this means the party's over. We go to our room and get ready for bed by candle and flashlight.

Our new friends Aziz and Bobbi enjoying some beer and (Bobbi's) birthday cake

Our new friends Aziz and Bobbi enjoying some beer and (Bobbi's) birthday cake

 

About rich


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.