Existing Member?

As the Wind Blows

Week 31: Where I ironed tablecloths and folded napkins

UNITED KINGDOM | Sunday, 23 October 2011 | Views [545]

London is very deceptive in autumn. When I see a sunny clear day where the leaves are still green on the trees I automatically think it’s warm outside but that is not always the case. After leaving the house several times with only a jacket and then literally shivering because I was too cold, I’ve finally gotten into the habit of wearing a coat and decided to splurge on a pair of new boots (any excuse really, but in all fairness my old pair had holes in them).

Riding a bike in almost thigh high boots isn’t the most classiest thing in the world, but chances are half the people riding a Barclays bike around Hyde Park are going to be a tourist so it’s easy to get away with wearing anything. And people are even forgiving when you’re cycling on the wrong side of the road, probably because nearly all of them are from Europe so it’s the correct side of the road for them. I’m ashamed to say that nowadays it feels more natural to travel on the right had side of the road than the left. *sigh* I’m turning into an American!

After seeing Hyde Park in Spring, Summer and Autumn, I personally think that the Park is prettiest in Autumn. In Spring the leaves are starting to come out on the trees and the only flowers out are daffodils, Summer is very green and parts of the park are in full bloom, but I think Autumn’s the most colourful season because the trees are still mostly green but the brown, yellow, gold and red leaves are everywhere.

Whilst ironing tablecloths and folding napkins and in general feeling like I was one of the staff at Downton Abbey, I was told someone’s life story. It’s very melodramatic and sad and got me thinking about how I’ve met some very interesting people along the way or at the very least heard stories of very interesting people. The most interesting one is of the couple who sold their house and business and decided to cycle back to Australia from the UK, across Europe and Asia. I wonder if they’ve made it back home by now.

I can add one last hotel on the list – the Hilton, where I had to silver serve (dish out) meat, veggies and potatoes to guests. Well really I could only dish out potatoes because I was too weak to carry the meat and too slow dishing out the veggies. Seriously you would think that the Hilton would have more class than having their staff dish out food like mothers.

I realise that I’m getting slower in posting but I’m assuming everyone’s busy attending weddings and bachelor/bachelorette parties and are too busy to read about my daily life in London. Don’t worry though, I will be going on one final trip soon before I leave, so you’ll only be able to use me as an excuse for procrastination for only a little while longer

:)

About rachthe1st


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.