Existing Member?

As the Wind Blows

Week 3: The honeymoon period

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 5 April 2011 | Views [644] | Comments [2]

Last week I heard a wise person at work saying that for every job, and no doubt for every experience in life, there is a honeymoon period. That could be the reason that both on Friday and Saturday when my pencil skirt ripped to almost it’s full capacity, then I got told off for not clearing a table properly (who knew that there was a wrong way of taking plates off a table), and got in trouble again for serving food in the wrong order, I thought the honeymoon period for catering is over.

However this isn’t my career, this is the working part of my working holiday and I shouldn’t be stressing on my holidays. And catering, while the pay is appalling and the shifts sometimes seem to last forever, isn’t too bad because you get to meet a lot of people who have come over to London for lots of different reasons and it’s fascinating to learn their stories.

So in the last week I went to see Camden Markets - not your typical Sunday markets, but rambling markets with shops and stalls everywhere you turn. There were also a couple of bridges here and there over a river which added to its charm. I unfortunately didn’t have my camera as I had just come from a shift but I definitely plan to go back there!

I also went to see the changing of the guard (utter chaos and madness, especially since they’re trying to set up for the royal wedding at the same time) and the National Gallery which is just full of paintings.

While I’d love to say that the my honeymoon period for London is over, last week whilst walking home in the pouring rain listening to the Hairspray soundtrack not really caring that my feet were soaking wet and feeling like bursting into song (like the other London weirdos out there), it doesn’t really matter if the honeymoon period is over because they are always going to be good days no matter the weather and the circumstance.

Comments

1

I'm doing a working holiday in Ireland at the moment and I definitely know what you mean about the honeymoon phase being over! But you're right, there are some really great days, despite the rain :)

  megh05 Apr 6, 2011 5:51 AM

2

Wow! I'm just impressed that you got a job in ireland! Haha! It hasn't rained all that much after I wrote that. Hope you enjoy your Irish holiday! :)

  rachthe1st Apr 24, 2011 6:32 AM

About rachthe1st


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.