Existing Member?

As the Wind Blows

The British Museum - Thieves or Rescuers?

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 29 March 2011 | Views [2542] | Comments [6]

In an attempt to be a proper tourist I decided to visit the British Museum, one of those famous, must visit tourist attractions in London. And quite frankly I was quite disappointed! 

The museum has such an amazing collection of pieces from most parts of the world, particularly from ancient times (Egypt, Rome and Greece etc) but it got me thinking, shouldn't these pieces be kept in the region they were pilfered from? Wouldn't it be nice to see the Book of the Dead in Egypt? Or pieces of the Parthenon in Greece? Visitors would probably get a better sense of what it would have been like in those days if these pieces were in the location they were found in. What's the point of having a room full of ancient greek pots behind glass in a room hundreds of thousands of miles away? No one can appreciate them, just walk past to get to the next room.

That said, the museum has done a fantastic job in preserving the world's history and it's all in one place so it's convenient for people to come and see everything all at one time. I wouldn't want all the ancient Egyptian collection to be in Egypt right now, because in the present climate not as many people would be visiting Egypt and it collection wouldn't be appreciated. But at the same time I think it's horrible that there are mummified corpses lying the the museum. In this day and age it would be called grave robbing and I'm pretty sure that's illegal. 

I don't know whether they are thieves or rescuers, but I've come to the conclusion that the British Museum should have branches in different countries so it can preserve ancient relics and pieces but give each country the right to own and display their own history.

Comments

1

Yeah! Return all the chinese treasures!

  Sophie Mar 29, 2011 9:57 PM

2

I never got around to the Chinese treasures I was soo mad!! Definitely going to see them when I go to China though! Especially that palace place that's near The Great Wall :)

  rachthe1st Apr 24, 2011 6:29 AM

3

british are thieves, the egyptian kings bodies, treasures, sculptures, also indian stones, and chinese ancient pottery, should all return to their mother lands.

  meru00 Jun 20, 2013 6:11 PM

4

How about we not have any museums at all? (sarcasm)

In what way were you disappointed? What were you expecting before you visited? You must have already know the sort of thing exhibited at the British Museum so why go in the first place? And it's hardly the only museum in the world displaying similar exhibits.

  Paul Apr 17, 2014 3:01 AM

5

THIEVES! Their excuse is to keep the stolen Parthenon marbles!
Can any one imagine if Greece has stolen the Queens crown and all the oil paintings represent of their British history?
That will look so idiotic even to a small child's eye.
Being a THIEVE is part of the British proper clever culture. That is not of one being smart, but stupidity greed and proper bull shit of the British!

  Elly May 23, 2015 10:38 AM

6

They display stolen items from other countries to attract tourists from those countries. ???
Why couldn't those countries earn this respect from the tourisms instead. The british will learn someday, they've stolen from too many countries and now all they do is degrade those countries for the wealth they've stolen.

  Maria rahman Mar 9, 2016 5:42 PM

About rachthe1st


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.