Existing Member?

Princess Adventures A little something-something to run around the world with....

Monday Moment: Ferry Road Markets

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 1 August 2011 | Views [1721]

When you are in a familiar land, it is easy to forget that there are new and unexplored corners to be found, no matter how long you have been around. That’s when you depend on the experience of the wonderful friends around you, who have taken that time to find the hidden secrets and wonders of the city that may seem completely exhausted. Step forward, the Ferry Road Markets. They are the Gold Coast’s answer to the quaint, quiet and sophisticated splendour that is the South Melbourne Markets, brimming with deliciously high quality fresh produce and gourmet delights to excite your tastebuds. This Monday Moment is an extended moment, dedicated to the market indulgence experience, a hidden gem of Brisbane’s favourite neighbour, Southport.

The colours are astounding; counters filled with marinated olives, fragrant cheeses and bright vegetables draw you in. The soothing light jazz tinkles in the background while you gawp at the gelato and (for me) the array of “gluten free” signs gracing so many products. Try to avoid getting sucked into the blissful counters of the Flour Bakery and take just a few moments to stare at the decadent windows of the Butcher on your journey to the seafood section at the back. “Hang on,” you ask, “I’m here to eat, not take fish home.” Ahhh, that’s fine, because the seafood department will take less than ten minutes to cook up your favourite fresh, Australian seafood and sushi delights so that you can soak up the calm in the informal dining area that runs the length of the markets. That’s right. It’s that awesome.

I love classy market calm.
I’m not talking about the chaos of Queen Victoria markets on a Saturday afternoon.
I’m talking about laid back, quintessentially Aussie chill.

The beautifully restored, airy, open and luxurious Brickworks Centre is light and refreshing, and the clientele are a people watcher’s delight. You can’t help but feel that you have escaped the nutty chaos of traffic and the stress of the everyday when you tuck yourself away for the afternoon, and you can easily fill three to four hours in this luscious escape. Take a couple of girlfriends; they are precious cargo and perfect company as you move away from your lunch and into either the tea or coffee store opposite the produce. Don’t stress if you’re divided about the location, we had the coffee guy bring an order into the tea shop where we sipped on divine and unique blends, while gasping over velvety macarons and petit fours picked up from the patisserie just beyond.

Try to avoid feeling too full yet.

When you’ve supped your heart out and are ready to walk again, grab a trolley and stroll back through the produce and deli of the markets. The beautiful, high quality vegetables, fruits and everything elses are heart warming when you’ve come from a land of imported foods. This is the kind of food that motivates you to go home and devour a plate of vegetables, finished with heavy greek yoghurt and handmade organic granola. Healthy, decadent bliss abounds and it feels awesome to get excited about carrots again.

Take time to decide on which olives you will take home, and you will take some home. Choose some honey. Browse the pickles, jams, chutneys and jellies while you ponder a time when people made these from scratch. Daydream about some wonderful man coming to the deli, selecting gourmet specialities to treat and romance you with fine cuisine, or just buy it all yourself. Breathe in fresh herbs. Soak up the bliss, and then drop onto a seat once more, completely satisfied, but with creamy, luscious gelato in hand. You can’t leave without the gelato. Don’t try to fight it.

Ferry Road Markets are located about 30 minutes from the southern suburbs of Brisbane, easily accessible from the Gold Coast Highway, at the Southport Exit. If you’re hunting on your GPS or Google Maps, punch in Brickworks at Southport and you will be well on your way. More information at www.ferryrdmarket.com.au or, visit their sister market at James Street Market, Fortitude Valley.

A massive thank you to Deb for sharing her secret today! x

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.