Existing Member?

Princess Adventures A little something-something to run around the world with....

Multiculturalism is not a dirty word

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 27 July 2011 | Views [2911] | Comments [8]

When I left the sandy, sunny shores of Port Melbourne, destined for the Middle East, I knew I would learn a lot about myself and others. I knew that my little world would change and that my perception of people, place and culture would change indefinitely. Australia would no longer be an endless inescapable expanse, but just one continent in my journey to traverse the world and capture every opportunity with zest and excitement. Never did I think that I would come home and cringe at public outcry against the exact thing I was learning so much about.

Multiculturalism.
Why has it become such a dirty word?

I do not claim to be an expert in this area, and I have been out of the loop on many of the developments on Australian shores, but from the outside it appears that the once celebrated multiculturalism of Australia has become even less appreciated than ever. I have come home to a barrage of media onslaught, constantly partitioning Arabs as violent, intolerant and religiously fundamental. I sit in horror as I watch cameramen walk into districts and talk about how they are attacked by African Muslims. I know, it’s media, they’re never going to give the whole truth, but the reportage here around Islam is, quite frankly, disgusting.

How are Australians ever going to appreciate multiculturalism or religious tolerance if they are constantly fed media rubbish about other cultures? How can anyone expect to hold an open mind to the experiences and beliefs of others when they are fed violent extremism as stereotype? I have spent the last eighteen months learning more and more about Islam, from those who are not fundamentalists so that I can be the one to come home and say, “Hey, wait a second,” and yet it’s such a hard prejudice to break, when over the last eighteen months, the media has done such a wonderful job of stratifying the nation; breaking them down and letting cracks appear in a country that once celebrated its cultural diversity.

In particular reference to the Arabs, yes, there are some extremists. There are Islamic fundamentalists all around the world. There are also Christian and Jewish fundamentalists around the world, starting cults and multi-marriage communities, locking women into marriages where they bear twenty to thirty children to a multitude of men in their lifetime. Why is the Australian media so hell-bent on attacking the Muslims? Why are they not looking at the alcohol-fuelled violence that plagues the city’s streets at night or the dole-bludging welfare scum that live off bonuses paid for procreation? Why are they not addressing the unjust taxation system that cripples the middle class, those educated, taxpaying citizens who never get a break or the small businesses who keep the Australian economy afloat? Too hard, right? That would be a national problem we don’t actually know how to solve.

Instead, they take the easy route. Pick on the Muslims. Pick on those who are different, because, God forbid if you are even remotely different from what typical Australia thinks you should be these days. It began with the Cronulla riots, targeting conflict between “locals” and men of “Middle Eastern appearance”. More recently Europe, and most specifically France, has taken its stance on the ‘burkha’, though most regions in the Western world can’t tell their sheila apart from their niqab nor their hijab, yet they’re all out for the burkha. It feels a little like a witch hunt, from my little expat-coming-home window; a witch hunt where they don’t really know who the witch is or how to spot her.

All this shows is a complete fear of the unknown. People don’t know enough about Islam, and so they fear it, and they fear what it might do to a community. Yes, there are parts of Islam’s rulings that I don’t agree with, particularly the one that states that any woman is only worth half that of a man, but that is someone else’s belief and it is not my right to change that. There are parts of Islam that don’t make sense to me, and there are parts of Christianity that don’t make sense to Muslims. Who are we to say what is right and wrong? If I have learned nothing else from travelling and sharing experiences around the world, I have learned that there is no right or wrong; there is just different. I don’t have to agree with different: genital mutilation, childhood marriages, voodoo, domestic violence, child drug abuse and slavery or sweatshops, but I do have to acknowledge that these ways of living exist for someone else, and that there is a reason, developmentally, that things are this way. It is not my right to tell them that they are wrong, and it is not theirs to tell me that I am wrong either.

The majority of racial conflict in Australia seems to occur when people immigrate here and want to continue their usual way of life on Australian shores. They want to experience the freedom and cultural wonder that Australia has to offer, yet they do not want to leave the comfort of everything they know, and they gather together in communities where they can communicate easily with like-minded citizens. This, to Australians, is seen as ignorant and backwards. As an expat, I understand what they are doing. Surrounding yourself with like-minded people, who speak your native language as their own is a phenomenal comfort when you are away from everything you know and grew up with. Shephard’s Bush in London is teeming with Australians; they flock together and share their own cultural values while living on the motherland that once threw them out as convicts. The Pacific Islanders congregate in New Zealand, sharing common values and cultural behaviours. The Kiwis, well, they all seem to be on Dubai radio and even Mr Vintage has noticed. It’s not uncommon to gather with those who are like yourself, to find solace in routine and normality that you grew up with. Is it too much to ask that Australians give some leeway to people who want some familiarity when they are so far from home?

Of course, there are ample contrasting arguments to all this. If they aren’t happy with the lifestyle here, they shouldn’t come here in the first place, or they should go home. Alternatively, and rightly so, if we just arrived in their countries, we wouldn’t get the same welfare or protection. In some parts, I agree with this, but why are we not willing to accept and be open to others, as a portal for learning and development? Why can we not accept that sometimes, people are just different and that this is ok? I, as a Western woman, live in a Muslim state and I dress conservatively. I avoid displays of public affection, and for the most part, avoid public drunkenness. As a foreigner entering another country, there is an expectation that I pertain to their rules, their culture and their laws, but I think it is unreasonable for Australians at home to assume this is all-encompassing. I am not wholly subject to Sharia law; in fact I am able to sign my way out of many a clause that locks in Muslims to relinquish all of their rights and wealth under many circumstances. I dress conservatively and avoid public displays of affection to avoid unwanted attention, more than anything else. It is a sign of respect to the country and it means that I am treated more politely by my hosts. It is not law, in the same way that wearing hijab should not be against the law in Australia.

If an immigrant does not make that same choice of respecting commonly held values while they are here on Aussie turf, should they not only be treated with that same mild disdain? Sure, if a woman is fully covered in a forward-thinking nation with Christian values, she will be stared at, but does she really deserve to be hunted down and harassed for doing so? I would not be hunted down for wearing a short skirt on a hot day – I’d get a few odd looks, but nobody is going to crucify or attack me. I can still do what is natural in my upbringing as an Australian, and I don’t think they should be reprimanded for doing so if they wish to in keeping with their religious values. Sometimes people are just looking for comfort in what is familiar to them. Why are we not reaching out to ask ‘why?’ instead of just screaming “NO!”

Multiculturalism was such a treasured part of my education when I was young. Learning about other countries, their cultures, beliefs and traditions was one of the most fascinating and exciting parts of my experiences growing up. I remember having a young Arab friend named Omar when I was in first grade, and I never thought for one second that that was unusual. My closest friends now, that I have treasured for so long, are Scottish, British and Papua New Guinean – not one of them is an Australian citizen. Do they deserve to be outcast from society because there are things that they might do or say differently? Should they be chastised or banned from singing, dancing or talking in the ways that they do because they might not be typically ‘Australian’ for every waking hour of every day? Who was it that decided on what was ‘Australian’ in the first place? If you ask this little expat, a few people around the country need to remember that the majority of the people here came from somewhere else anyway, be it British convicts, the Scots subject to Highland clearing, or the Islanders looking for somewhere new. We need to remember that we came together from so many places, we can’t just pull down a barrier and say “Sorry, we’re done developing now. No new experiences allowed.”

Break away from that barrier.

Multiculturalism is not a dirty word.

Comments

1

Absolutely fantastic and I totally agree. I think the key point, which you've written so eloquently is... Diversity is not damaging... it's just different. I think having lived overseas now for almost 1/3 of my life, I'm a better person before it because I'm able to celebrate, tolerate and educate myself on the many different ways people chose to approach life. Not one religion is right, nor are they wrong. They just are. If everyone respected peoples right to be different, the world would be a safer and smarter place.

  Biggsa Jul 28, 2011 3:38 AM

2

A great read!

  Stephen Chapman Jul 28, 2011 10:45 AM

3

Cheers!

  princess2802 Jul 28, 2011 10:47 AM

4

@Biggsa I think you're absolutely right here in adding on that diversity is not damaging. It adds to the culture of a population, rather than break it apart. We only need to look at how Dubai takes on so many different nationalities and enjoys the fact that there is so much variety about. Yes, people still enjoy taking part in their own sub-communities, but they also share their differences. At least the culture there recognises that there is much to learn from those around the world, and then strives to maintain that which they hold most essential to their roots. No harm in seeing what else other people are doing! You don't have to like it or adopt it, just be open to it!

  princess2802 Jul 28, 2011 12:38 PM

5

You made my day. The contrast between you and the average Aussie that has travelled nowhere is very stark. It is amazing how travel has enlightened you. Multiculturalism in Australia is the only way to benefit from diversity, The alternative is to dumb down everyone to the least common denominator.Thanks for your article.

  George Said Jul 29, 2011 7:44 PM

6

Thanks for your kind support George!

  princess2802 Jul 31, 2011 6:57 PM

7

childhood marriages, domestic violence, child drug abuse, slavery!! excuse me ! these are not culture! there is a difference between 'burkha' and child marriage, a woman can wear burkha by her choice but a girl child's rights are violated when she gets married! domestic violence is never a choice for anybody! you can't ignore these just by saying that it might 'exists' for somebody else!! you are contradicting your own stand, you can be liberal enough to give space to people to violate somebody else's liberty. Multiculturalism should be seen in the light of individualism and liberalism without that, its inhumane most of the times.

religious tolerance can only be for certain aspects, I respect every religion untill its not killing people or not stopping a girl to live her life. we can support Malala's shooters right? I have read multiculturalism it surely don't support that.

  priyanka Aug 15, 2013 6:52 PM

8

I like Australia for what it has contributed to multiculturalism and despite all the local attacks on Indian students, Australian multiculturalism is way ahead of India. I agree with most of your points except that not everything is acceptable in the name of religion and culture. we can make a better world only by accepting the good things out of a culture. Let people decide for themselves but not for others.

  priyanka Aug 15, 2013 7:06 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.