Existing Member?

Princess Adventures A little something-something to run around the world with....

Creating a whole new atmosphere

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES | Wednesday, 8 June 2011 | Views [889] | Comments [3]

In teaching, every now and then you have one of those days where it feels like it’s all worth it and that they’re actually listening. Today is one of them. I’ve fled through a stack of fifty papers in the past two days, all creative writing, and I’ve been thoroughly impressed. At Year 7 level, we start to steer the kids away from “writing stories” and focus on using detail, development and imagery to create tone and atmosphere in their writing. Some kids take it up really enthusiastically; others look at you and seem to be wishing some sort of voodoo death on you. One student I have is a really curious one. He’s a huge reader, Mum’s a PhD in English, but his overall sentence construction and grammar skills have been rather weak throughout the year. Then the little blighter hit me with THIS piece of creative awesome.

All they were given was a choice of four genres, each detailing a couple of characters, a setting and a few key words about a plot with the instruction to write only the opening paragraphs. This young man chose the Adventure story with a businessman, a scruffy man, and a plot where a hitchhiker is picked up. This is what he did with it…

Stuart was small by most standards and was a very cautious yet generous man. He had black hair, cut very short and deep brown eyes. His clothes were still warm from having his computer on his lap and he was driving along rural Michigan, on his way home. He was driving down the road when he saw a distant figure farther up the road. As he drove closer he saw that he was a scruffy young man who looked like he’d lived in the woods his whole life, but he though, that’s how all energetic teens looked. He pulled over to the man and rolled down the window, “Need a ride?” he asked quizzically. The man made a faint nod and hopped in the car. “Where to?” Stuart yelled as he started up the road. The mad said nothing. Stuart turned his head. It was then that he noticed his hair was long and he looked as if he hadn’t shaved in weeks. He stared, even though he knew it wasn’t polite. There was something else about him. Suddenly the man pointed at the road. There was a loud crash as the car hit a tree and dove into the forest. The car flipped like a gymnast would and landed on the hood in a flurry of sparks and branches.

Stuart awoke with a start; he felt blood trailing from his forehead and opened his eyes. The man from earlier was mixing some sort of concoction from leaves and berries. He groaned and tried to get up but just didn’t have the strength. The man spun around and quickly poured the potion down his throat.

Rob stared down at the poor man who had given him a ride in his ‘car’ as the city folk called it. He had escaped from his parents when he was little and had adapted to living alone pretty well really. He sniffed the air. He smelled a mixture of blood, gasoline and flowers. It wasn’t a particularly good smell. He stared at the medicine and couldn’t help hoping it would work.  ~ J.H., 12 years.

Awesome.

Comments

1

Holy crap! I want to read the rest of this story. wow.

  Quirky75 Jun 8, 2011 2:51 PM

2

I know! Amazingly, this wasn't the best one of them all....there are a couple of absolute stonkers, that even had my skin crawling. This was just the surprising one....must post a couple of the others; they're phenomenal.

  princess2802 Jun 8, 2011 3:28 PM

3

Pretty amazing writing. What a pleasure to mark this standard of work. Brilliant!

  KB Jun 8, 2011 9:58 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about United Arab Emirates

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.