Existing Member?

Blurred memories Memoirs of a lost and bewildered Australian chick through Europe.

What do germans do on sundays?

GERMANY | Monday, 9 January 2006 | Views [3071] | Comments [1]

Well, what do germans do on sundays? i think its a very valid question. Today, sunday, i decided to go shopping for some food to taske with me on the train tomorrow (5 1/2 hours to berlin). i had been warned previously that not much is open here on sundays. fair enough, i just needed something to eat and to go to the supermarket. there were heaps of people about so i naturally thought that there must be a few things open. turns out there wasn't, no supermarkets no shops nothing. the only places i saw open were 1 chemist and a few cafes. so once again i pose the question, "what the hell do germans do on sundays???" as far as i could tell they walk around and look in the shop windows at the things they might want to buy during the week when things are open and, ride their bikes and look in the shop windows. Needless to say i'm hoping something is open early in the morning or i'm going to starve. i managed to buy   a frozen baguette thing and a bottle of juice for dinner from a servo for a ridiculous price. lucky i'm not starving...

Tags: Culture

Comments

1

i am from the U.S.A. and am in germany on a business trip and can't understand it, what germans would do on sundays. i heard that it is the german goverment who prihibits stores from opening, which is kind of weird, since it's lost money and here in the U.S.A. our goverment can't tell us when to open our stores

  kevin usa forever May 20, 2012 5:37 AM

About nadscol


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.