Existing Member?

Blurred memories Memoirs of a lost and bewildered Australian chick through Europe.

The dork hits York.

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 23 October 2009 | Views [835]

(March 2009)

 

I can admit it; I’m a dork- a history dork. And in York I was in history heaven and I absolutely loved it. It was another weekend day trip and a ripping good time. York is one of those places oozing history that I have always wanted to visit- in particular the cathedral which I had heard from numerous sources was one of the best in Britain but also the whole Viking thing.

 

First stop unsurprisingly for me was York Minster. The place is absolutely huge and it dominates the old city’s skyline. It is terrific and definitely deserves its fame (yet another church which I class as being nicer than Westminster abbey – I’m really not sure what I have against it- too many tourists maybe?). Needless to say I did the guided tour, good times, very informative; wish there wasn’t so many people. Next I climbed up the tower- great view over York, very windy, typical miserable English weather- I’m definitely growing accustomed to it now. I really like how they organise the people going up and down so that you never get caught having to climb past someone else- other churches and towers would do well to adopt this! I powered up so I got a pretty great view before the rest of the crowds joined me (Yeah bum exercise!). After this it was the obligatory crypt tour (I’ve seen better) and leave before the church became a mosh pit (tourists do love York- I shouldn’t complain seeing as I was one but I’m a huge hypocrite so that’s OK!)

 

After this, and a lovely cup of tea and scone at a teahouse in the Shambles, I powered on to the Yorvik Viking centre. I had seen a program about this on the TV and was definitely looking forward to it. It was great, in a disgustingly tacky way, but well worth the visit. The highlight for me was the bit at the end where you get to see lots of Viking bones which they dug up some of which show evidence of some interesting medical conditions. Educational and FUN!  The only thing I was disappointed about was when you go round in the little cars I was totally expecting a Viking to jump out at us- there was no Viking! I got myself all geared up not to scream like a little girl and nothing jumped out at us. Not sure why I was expecting it, I guess if I ran the place I would have someone dressed as a Viking to scare the tourists. Or maybe I just have a stupid sense of humour!

After the fun of looking at bones and expecting someone to jump out and try and scare me I had a lazy afternoon wandering around the extensive shopping area. I managed to pick up a Discworld puzzle at a church charity store for 50p. Absolute bargain, not sure if it has all the pieces but I really don’t mind! It was a pain in the butt to carry around though! After this I did about half of the wall walk before it was time to get back to the train station to catch the train home to Nottingham. An absolutely brilliant day, I will definitely be back to York. I have unfinished business here. There is so much more to see.

Tags: weekends

About nadscol


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.