Existing Member?

Blurred memories Memoirs of a lost and bewildered Australian chick through Europe.

Nott too bad...

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 31 August 2009 | Views [718]

(Feb 09)

So, Nottingham- first week, new job, usual jitters, usual cursing the fact that I miss my last job. Same thing happened when I started at Cheltenham and Winchester. But still- it was always going to be a grass is greener type situation. Nottingham isn’t too bad really. Good shopping, lots of students and bars, restaurants, people with funny northern accents. I spent my first weekend here trying to orientate myself, find a supermarket, get internet, and being excited about the fact that Nottingham has a boost juice AND a Gloria Jeans. So it really can’t be too bad, even if I hate it at least I know that I will be able to get a decent cup of coffee.

 

Well, the new job, where do I start? QMC (the Queens Medical Centre) is to put it bluntly- FUCKING HUGE. It honestly makes Liverpool look like a ditsy little medical centre. It is busy, very busy, the x-ray department is huge as well (not surprisingly) and very short staffed for the amount of work we have to get through. I’m pretty sure I have x-rayed every knee in Nottingham. The people are lovely, if a little stressed, busy and overworked, and I have a lot of names to learn. I think I will do my usual “call everyone mate until I can actually remember all their names” thing. I guess this is one of the major advantages to being an Aussie.

 

I suppose the highlight of my first week here has been all the snow. I’m sure you have heard of it in the news ‘Britain’s big freeze’. It’s been brilliant, you’d think there was a national emergency here the amount of fuss that people are having. Its hilarious, but worrying how unprepared the Poms are for snow. The Russians, Scandinavians etc. are laughing their heads off and want to know what all the fuss is about. Schools, roads, buses, trains closed and cancelled. It looks really pretty and isn’t all that cold though. The only problem personally that I have encountered due to all this snow is the amount of snow and ice related injuries. You don’t get these back home (certainly not at the moment with all the bushfires, 40 degrees plus etc.) I have never had so many broken wrists, elbows, humeri, dislocated shoulders, spinal injuries, broken ankles, knees and hips. I’m pretty sure I have seen everything. And it will be hell for the next month or two because all of these people will be coming back through fracture clinic and the like for follow up treatment!  

 

My next weekend was spent further exploring. I managed to catch up with Adam and Mel, two Aussies I met whilst travelling through Scandinavia. It was fantastic to see some familiar faces and drink some good coffee (Gloria Jeans). I also spent one afternoon at Nottingham Castle. Not too bad, most of it is quite modern and has been done up as an art gallery and museum. After that I went to what claims to be the oldest Inn in England. The Old Trip to Jerusalem- nice place, but the beer is crap.

 

Next week, more work, busy busy busy!

Tags: work

About nadscol


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.