Existing Member?

Blurred memories Memoirs of a lost and bewildered Australian chick through Europe.

The Battle of Tewksbury.

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 23 October 2008 | Views [1038] | Comments [1]

Another weekend trip and my absolute favourite on by far. The weekend i decided to go to Tewksbury was like any other weekend....or so i thought. I had seen it in my lonely planet and i heard that there was a nice and very old cathedral and it was quite a pretty old town. There was a direct bus there from Cheltenham and i thought why not?

It turns out that the weekend i chose to go was the weekend of the Tewksbury Medievel Festival. Bloody fantastic! I didn't even realise until i got there and saw some people dressed quite strangely and a sign in the tourist information office. Brilliant! I have always wanted to go to one! A cute little festival.... Boy was i wrong!

IT WAS HUGE! It was the bet fun! no joke there was absolutely like thousands of people there, the vast majority of them in period dress, shops, displays, food, demonstrations, music, games....i was in heaven. In the afternoon there was a jousting display (i definately did not think that at the start of the day that i would be watching jousting in the afternoon!). The absolute highlight of the day was a re-enactment of the battle of tewksbury with like 1000 people in armour fighting. It was amazing! Brilliant! Fantastic! As you can tell i quite liked it!

I'll definately go back next year and i have every intention of buying myself a lovely medievel wench outfit and getting as involved as i can! I think i would make a good wench....

Oh yeah, the cathedral was pretty good too.

Tags: day trips

Comments

1

So did you find yourself a crazy jousting partner called Sven?
I can just imagine you in a few years.. married to a medieval re-enactment guy, hedge maze in your backyard... just remember no pink though ok?

  Jo Oct 23, 2008 10:19 PM

About nadscol


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.