Existing Member?

Blurred memories Memoirs of a lost and bewildered Australian chick through Europe.

Polska Power!

POLAND | Friday, 17 October 2008 | Views [833]

So I’m finally into Poland, the final new stop of the big journey and what can I say about it? Well I really enjoyed it actually. I don’t know why but I kind of expected it to be a little bit backward or perhaps behind the times, but it was exactly the opposite! Poland at the moment is a country that looks to me to be absolutely flourishing. After another excessively long drive we arrived in Warsaw. We were staying at quite a dodgy caravan park. It had cabins and stuff, but they were pretty well….shit. Seeing as it wasn’t too late I had a chance to go to a shopping mall not too far from the place we were staying. It was big, and shiny and new. And I loved it! It was nice being in somewhat ‘familiar’ surroundings again. The only problem I had was the complete lack of internet facilities- I had been trying to decide on whether to take a job that I had been offered and was waiting on a very important email- in the end I rang Emma in London and got her to check my mail! And for those who want to know- I got the job! (Cheltenham- where I have been for the last 3 and a half months). The next day we got up early to visit a prison type place in town. This place was one of the main places Jewish people were taken during the war before they were ‘redistributed’. It was really, really depressing. But it was also another one of those must visit places and I’m glad I went. After that we were pretty much left to our own devices to explore wherever we wanted. Naomi and I (the big nerds that we are) went to the Marie Curie museum. I must admit that as someone who classes themselves as a bit of a radiation buff I was quite disappointed. I was definitely hoping for a much more in depth type museum. It kind of felt like it was meant to be for school kids. Disappointing. After this we went searching for another highly rate museum- I can’t remember the name of it and we got quite lost looking for it and rained on but it was absolutely brilliant. The whole museum was about Poland’s occupation and invasion by the Germans. It is definitely one of the best museums I have been to, ever! This is saying quite a lot seeing as I am one of the biggest nerds on earth. The centrepiece for the museum was a wall that beat like a heart. When you touched it you could feel it beating rhythmically. I think it was meant to represent the heart of the polish people that kept on beating no matter what was thrown at them. The whole place was really really really good. One day hopefully I’ll remember the name of it! The rest of the day was spent exploring the town centre. Warsaw is quite nice really considering how much of it was blown up in the war. On the whole it was a very relaxing and enjoyable day. Tomorrow it’s a long drive back to Berlin and goodbye!

Tags: poland

About nadscol


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Poland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.