Existing Member?

Blurred memories Memoirs of a lost and bewildered Australian chick through Europe.

3 hours of my life I will never get back

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 20 March 2008 | Views [549] | Comments [2]

Yesterday I had to go to London to apply for my national insurance number (this seems to be like a tax file number). I had to go to a place called Tooting Bec to a Jobcentre there. As you can tell i regard this as 3 hours of my life i will never get back. Let me describe the lovely area for you all. Tooting Bec makes Liverpool look like Buckingham Palace. I think even Minto is classier than it. It is a terrible, terrible, dodgy, dirty, rundown area. At this jobcentre which was ridiculously busy there were security guards. At 10am. It was that sort of place. People were screaming at each other, everyone was whinging, inside and outside. The poor staff all looked harassed, miserable, bored with their jobs, and like they really would rather be some place else. The woman who served me strangely enough though was absolutely lovely. She was all cheery, seemed like she didn't hate her job (which seemed to me to be filling out the same form over and over again for people) and chatted away telling me all about how her daughters name is Nadia and she had to go for immunisations that afternoon. I think i got lucky for once. As soon as my 'interview' was over i got as far as i could from that horrible place.

What a terrible job. And what a grotty area. I have the utmost respect for the poor buggers that work there.

Tags: yuck

Comments

1

I have to say I think you are wrong about tooting Bec. I think you are wrong about Tooting Bec

  Ben Clover Mar 21, 2008 9:01 PM

2

Tooting Bec is a funny, weird name.

  chereeday Mar 25, 2008 9:38 PM

About nadscol


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.