Existing Member?

Blurred memories Memoirs of a lost and bewildered Australian chick through Europe.

Bath

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 11 March 2008 | Views [610]

Yes not a very original title for this one but i went to bath on the weekend. I'd heard so many good things about it and it i only 2 and a bit hours away on the train so i decided to make a day trip of it. When i told mum and dad where i was going they of course said (as many people with a warped sense of humour may) 'don't get wet'. Well put it this way, i bloody wish i hadn't! Let me tell you how my day went:

I was halfway down the bloody great hill after getting out of bed at a ridiculously early 730 when i realised i hadn't brought my umbrella, oh well, it looks like a nice day i thought and i really couldn't be bothered about walking up the damn hill again. Big mistake.

It rained, constantly.

The train trip was to put it nicely, not enjoyable. Because the train was so crowded as the rugby was on at cardiff (which is on the same line as southampton which i had to change onto)i had to stand up the whole damn way. It was so crowded i got to intimately know the people who were standing around me for that hour and a half. The young woman smooshed in front of me really had alot of moles on the back of her neck and the young bloke next to me really needed a tissue. I was very glad when i finally got to bath.

Don't get me wrong, bath really is a lovely place. I just don't think i fully appreciated it due to the contstant rain/mist/drizzle. I loved the roman baths and will definately go back for a spa treatment at the therma spa. The catherdral was to be frank, disappointing. I guess after winchester cathedral i will be eternally disappointed.

I did one of those sightseeing bus tours, which was good, but when you are sitting in the top of on open topped but and it won't stop raining and you were too lazy to go back and get that umbrella that you spent too much on i think it takes a little away from the experience.

I ended up trying to catch an earlier train home than i had intended. It was running late, of course, and there had been a big rugby game on in bath as well. I'm not underestimating when i say that there was at least 200-250 people waiting on the platform for the late running train. When it finally arrinved over 15  minutes late it had only 2 carriages and was over 3/4 full. The lady next to me burst into tears. I made a mad dash, elbowed alot of innocent people out of the way, and got the second last seat in one of the carriages. Stuffed if i was standing up again!

Yes i can be a cold hearted bitch, but you would have had to have been 9 months pregnant or somewhere around the age of 100 for me to give up my seat.

Tags: On the Road

About nadscol


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.