Existing Member?

4 Over 5: The World is My Home

Fun along the Mekong

VIETNAM | Friday, 19 December 2014 | Views [527]

The people in the Mekong Delta just might be the friendliest people on Earth.  This is surprising as the region does see its fair share of tourists.  Maybe it is because I was being escorted around by local guides (who were all family).  I had an "in".  In any case, it was a nice way to see the area.  The atmosphere was different than in the city because there was an expectation that you were going to buy stuff.  It was a floating market after all.  From one such floating store my guide Miss Moon and I sampled Jackfruit, durian, mango, rambutan, polemo, longan, and star apple also known as the Mommy apple.  This is because it feels like a woman's breast and when you squeeze it a sweet white milk comes out the top. I am not making this up.

After a morning at the markets, I went to Miss Moon and Mr Vu's house for lunch where their Mom cooked up a storm of food right from their property - bananas, pineapple, dragon fruit, crispy wontons, elephant ear fish, salted catfish, frog legs, chicken, noodles, and rice; all topped off with a shot of rice wine.

Late, after relocation to Can Tho and a much needed rest,  Jason and Vu took me out for an evening on the town.  First we had dinner at a streetside restaurant where we enjoyed BBQ chicken wings, snails, fish and saffron infused rice.  There was also sugar palm juice with which to wash it all down.  We could have also ordered BBQ rat, but alas I don't eat red meat.

We then headed to a rooftop cafe to admire the view and after to the night market.  On the way there we were crossing the street when Jason and Vu told me to walk ahead.  I thought it was to protect me or to take my picture as they were doing this all night.  But no, it was to put me right in the path of the boat ladies who try to sell you trips along the water.  After being accosted they came to my rescue and we all had a good laugh.  What was even funnier was the one boat lady who thought it was great that I scolded them (in good fun) and proceeded to give me a karate chop massage as a reward - right there on the sidewalk.  Then she spanked me!  We were all laughing so hard (Vu, Jason and I from the shock) we were practically in tears, including the boat lady!  Then she kissed me and told me I could be her daughter if I wanted (in Vietnamese of course). Smacking my butt became a recurring theme throughout the rest of the trip.

The next day I was up by 4:45am in order to go to the Floating Market of Cai Rang.  I don't think I could keep fishermen's hours everyday but it was nice to be around morning people. Vu said that his parents, who are fruit farmers, also get up that early.  The market was a frenzy of buying and trading, even before the sun rose.  While not ideal for picture taking it was nice to be there before any other tourists.  We simply joined in - buying our breakfast out on the water.  I was happy to not just see the market but to experience it. 

 

 

Tags: markets, mekong

 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.