Existing Member?

Same Same, but... a little bit different!

Vatican 2.0

ITALY | Tuesday, 6 February 2018 | Views [513]

Apartment is quite comfortable and we slept pretty good considering jet-lag. We got up and ate some eggs, did the blog and got ready for the day; Vatican 2.0.

The walk to the Vatican is about 1KM; excellent location to stay. We were hounded by sales people the entire way; tour this, 'skip the line' etcetera; very annoying! After being told well over 10 times the wait would be around 2 hours, we arrived to the ticket area, got through security, bought our tickets and arrived to the first exhibits within 15 minutes.



The museum is exactly that, a museum. First some ancient Egyptian exhibits, Roman and other assortments. This place is beautiful!


Room after room.



Hall after hall!

Outdoor courtyards!


It actually started feeling relentless! Where is the Sistine Chapel? Then we saw a Salvado Dali and Tim was willing to continue the walk.



After about 1.5 hours we arrived, incredible, but also incredibly crowded. (Sorry no photos allowed in the Chapel) Al bought this puzzle at the gift shop; it's same same but a little different.



We were feeling a bit peckish so we stopped for a coffee and cornettos (a croissant with custard in the centre). Pretty good!



We made our way back to the apartment, had some good Roman style thick crust pizza (basically pizza toppings on foccia). For a little while we chatted and had a glass of wine.

We ventured out, last chance to get a few souvenirs. We got some plaster pieces of the local monuments, a puzzle, some pictures and a couple other nicknacks. Had a snack and coffee at McDonald's.


Our time in Rome was short and there was no way we could see it all. One of the pictures we saw had a large courtyard; Piazza dei Popolo. We made our way there, enjoying the views and stopping at various shops along the way.


The courtyard was pretty, but it was getting late and most things were shutting down.



We walk along the Tiber river, very pretty at night. They even had a skating rink!




   

 

About mitann


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.