Existing Member?

Same Same, but... a little bit different!

From Hungary to Poland

POLAND | Thursday, 25 August 2016 | Views [379]

The train; the train. I'm unsure if I should be positive or negative about our train experience. Like I said, we were in different compartments; which would have made it marginally better. Positive: no wasted day for travel, kinda; and slightly cheaper than a hotel. Negatives; its a train, use your imagination: rocking cars, whistles, small thin bed, and did I say the rocking and whistles? Was not terrible, but certainly was not a hotel.

 

We were woke, or at least cued by the train lady about 6:30 AM; about an hour before our scheduled arrival. Mom snored a lot as did Tim and Dad so I am guess the 3 Brits that shared cabins with us were happy they had survived the night; I know I was.

 

Krakow station was the most modern we had seen; perhaps for the 2016 Youth day celebrations. We made our way to the street and walked south to our apartment. After the short walk we arrived to the Kazimierz District; just south of the formally walled city.

 

Our renter was awesome, on time and ready for us. He gave s a tour of the awesome renovated little apartment which is the nicest we have had; not to mention most cost effective; awesome, awesome, awesome.

 

Located directly inside the Jewish quarter, a popular off-beat tourist area; there are many amazing choices for both fast food and sit down dinners.

 

After a quick break, we walked to Wawel Royal Castle and onward to the Old Town square. Right befire we took a quick stop at an amazing church. We bought some snacks including barbecued cheese, bread with rendered pork fat, pickles and a couple beer. We devoured our grub enjoyed people watching.

 

Walking around a bit more, we opted for a little pub just outside the downtown, Pod Wawelem, which we procured a couple 1 litre beers for about $5 Cdn; Tim and Mom preferred the 1/2 litre.

 

Tired after a long night's travel, we decided to get some ''take-out' of sausages and fries for the room. We watched Schindler's List and a couple educational videos on the Krakow ghetto. Tim called it a night early while the rest of us enjoyed The Boy in Stripped Pyjamas’s. Fitting for the war setting of Krakow, Poland.

About mitann


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Poland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.