Existing Member?

Same Same, but... a little bit different!

I'm Blue

USA | Thursday, 5 May 2016 | Views [203]

Mornings have been rough in Vegas, not necessarily because we were hung-over, which we were, but because we haven’t been having our coffee. The HOJO generously offers in-room coffee supplies, but without our holiday/weekend morning cream, we have skipped it all together. This morning, after our third attempt to find some, we resolved to get some. Vegas is strange because you can walk around with open alcohol, but its a little difficult to find hard liquor (at walmart its kept with the cigarettes). Apparently we weren't looking hard enough as there was a store across the street. It was located at the end of the Vegas runway, took longer because Tim wanted to watch a couple approaches.

 

We didn’t have much planned for the day; honestly we are both very tired from all the walking. To make things worse, my feet are like hamburger; dotted with blisters. My daily routine of patching my feet is getting longer than writing the blog. Not much walking today, our plan was to stay at the corner of Tropicana and the Strip: MGM, New York New York, Excalibur, and/or The Tropicana.

 

Our first stop, as suggested by the crazy man on the street, was the MGM. For those that haven’t been to Vegas, there are many types of ways to gamble: slots, tables being the main ones. Tables are quite a lot of money and require some skill as well as luck. Nope, I opted for the slots, which again there are many, many, many options. For me, and to keep this short, I'm not disillusioned to think I'm here to make money; cheap is best. I chose penny slots, lowest minimum bet I could find with the most options for winnings.

 

My first machine wasn't much fun and I lost $1, although as you play the waitresses bring free, yes free, drinks. We moved to my second and most successful game: Three Kings, min bid 25 cents. We sat and played this game for about 3 hours and after 4 drinks each, I was up by $3 (at the most I was up by $15). Not bad for an afternoon of gaming; although Tim asked that I wait 30 seconds after every loss. Tim doesn't like to gamble and simple enjoyed chatting with me and watching the multitude of people mindlessly clicking slot buttons in hopes of winning big; didn’t see it.

 

After getting bored at MGM, we decided to check out the other casinos. I guess the crazies were right as we didn’t find any other machines with low minimum bids. Not happy with the other Casinos, we decided to head back to the hotel, have a quick nap before the show.

 

Nap was enjoyed and we got ready for the show; made the short walk in little time. Security again was excellent and we found the Luxor staff extremely nice and helpful. The stage was a lot bigger than Fantasy and the auditorium sits about twice as many people. A running theme as the price was also about double.

 

Our seat weren't terrible, but there are much better; again, get what you pay for. For $20 and 2 hours of our life, they were fine. We were about 60ft from the stage but had a good unobstructed view. The ambiance was pretty cool and the effects became apparent when the security started handing out neon yellow reflective ribbon for everyone to tie on their heads.

 

The show started with a bang and loud was the theme of the entire performance. The 3 blue dudes are quirky and fun. The show centres on drumming with two short segments where the dudes interact with the crowd; even climbing through the entire audience in search for a 'victim' for their shenanigans.

 

All-in-all the show was good, but at times we found it repetitive and boring. The toilet paper finally was intense; we were happy to have enjoyed the show. We would recommend this, but only if you are into heavy rock, drumming and strobe lights. If not, maybe another show.

 

Tags: blue man group, mgm

About mitann


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.