Existing Member?

Jo's Korean and Other Crazy Adventures Jo is coming back to teach in China for a second year that is sure to be filled with new crazy adventures!

Back to Seoul..finally!

SOUTH KOREA | Saturday, 17 March 2007 | Views [1254] | Comments [2]

I've made it to Seoul, Korea on March 1st, 2007. The ride was long, but not as many layovers as last time. When I arrived there was a sign for SMOE teachers. They asked my name and told me to walk down to 'Buy the Way' and you'll see a sign. I was quite tired by this time, since my seat on the 14 hour trip from Chicago was next to the kitchen. There was so much noise and chattering, that I barely slept.

I walked for what seemed liked forever. I didn't see any sign or people waiting with SMOE. I ended up starting to walk back and ask them more information, when I saw a few other foreigners, and asked them if they were going to SMOE. They said yes, and I followed them. We found the area, and my recruiter introduced himself to me. We waited for about ten minutes, and then me and a few others were whisked away in a bus to where our seven day training would be held. I had no idea where we were going, but I was told it was somewhere on the outskirts of Seoul, and it would take about an hour or so to get there. I fell asleep, but not too deeply. Next thing you know, we are stopping. I thought we had arrived, but then found out that the bus driver was lost, and we were driving in circles.

Oh, just great, I thought. I was also starving by this time. We drove around the area for what seemed like hours. We finally found the place, and arrived at 8pm. It took close to three hours. We were shown into dorm type rooms, and I was told that I would have a roomate, but she wasn't here yet. So, I went to bed at 9pm and slept right through till 5am. The jet lag made me get up for about half an hour, but then I went back to sleep till 8am. The training was very interesting. I met about forty other teachers from around the world who were going to be placed in Seoul public schools.

On the training we learned about Korean culture and had seminars on teaching. Our group had to develop a mini lesson plan and a skit. It was fun, but also tiring. We had to be in training for a good part of the day. I found out the day before I left to come to Korea, that I was being placed in a place called Nowon-Gu. I had no idea where that was, but later found out that it was way far north-east of Seoul.

Originally, they told me I would be placed in Gangnam, the area I was in last year. I was hoping that I would be. I figured there was a reason why I was placed in this other area. I would soon find out. The day finally came to be taken to our school district school board. I was picked up there with all my heavy luggage, by my co-teacher. My co-teacher is a man, who is extremely nice. He talks pretty good English, and I was impressed. He has travelled a lot around the world, and just finished taking an English intensive course in California.

He took me to my apt, and I was happy that it was in a new type building, and was relatively large bachelor, compared to last year. I was happy. The view from my window is stunning. I can see the mountains right out my window. The school is also great. This past week, I've been getting comfortable in my new surroundings. I start teaching this week. The English teacher's office is new, and we will also have a new classroom. There are certainly challenges with the language and the other staff. Only about five out of sixty staff speak some English. Better some than none I figure. My schedule is very sweet. I teach mostly in the mornings, which leaves the afternoon for planning and teaching the staff some English.

I live about three minutes from my school. It's only a three minute walk to the subway too. I love the convenience of it all. This area is much more quiet than Gangnam area. It is a different change of pace. I went to the foreign district last weekend, and it takes me about fifty minutes to get into the happening area of the city.

I checked out my area last night. I went shopping today, and found some western stuff. I got olives, and some maple cookies. The vegetables and fruit are expensive, and eating in western restaurants is really expensive too. I am going to cook more at home this year to save money. I have a gym in my building, and I will join next weekend. The weather is starting to get nice here. The first week was freezing, I felt like I hadn't left Canada.

I'll post some pics on here in my photo area. More pics to follow.

 

Tags: adventures

Comments

1

Hi
I was just offered a position with SMOE through the ETIS teaching association and a recruiting agency called Aclipse. I was wondering how got involved in teaching in south korea and are these agencies legitimate?
Sincerely,
Sarah

  Sarah Jun 18, 2008 8:14 AM

2

i live in nowon and was wondering about your gym. can anyone join? what is it like? do you know of any other gyms in the nowon junggye area? thanks. alyna

  alyna Mar 24, 2009 5:41 PM

About miss_traveller


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Korea

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.