Existing Member?

a light in Cambodia

The LONG wait

CAMBODIA | Saturday, 2 February 2013 | Views [147] | Comments [1]

It is strangely funny how friends can snap you out of your craziness and redirect your focus when life seems to throw you curve balls. My dear friend, Fiona, did just that for me today.

After an outing for lunch, to wish a friend farewell, and the dropping by of two surprise guests I didn’t realize how exhausted I was and also how grateful I felt with Fiona’s offer to help me get to and from the hospital for my next check-up.

Originally she knew a friend with a car that could help transport us, but alas that fell through. My cheap self was considering just taking a tuk tuk, to save a little money and not to create a hassle. But Fiona’s wisdom won out, with her arranging a taxi, and was probably the smartest decision made for the day.

We arrived at the hospital right on time for my appointment. However, appointment times mean nothing in Cambodia as we were greeted with the news of the long wait. “The doctor will come in 2 to 3 hours” I was politely informed. Thankfully I was on a bed, so I could lay down and put my foot up. Another perk was the fact that I knew the wifi passwords so we could get connected to some rather slow but still effective internet. To pass the time and entertain ourselves as we eavesdropped into other patients treatment, share stories and took silly photos.

It took 2.5 hours for my doctor to finally turn up to do the 10 minute procedure of checking, cleaning and redressing my wounds. Fiona joked that he owed us both dinner (well perhaps she wasn’t really joking). Afterwards was the wait to finally get the bill and get out of there.

The whole process of getting to and from the hospital took nearly 4 hours! I’m don’t think many people would willingly stick around that long, in such a boring situation when they don’t need to be there. I am so thankful for a friend like this that would step out of their way to help me and keep me positive in something that could have become rather frustrating. Without fully realising it she abundantly provided for me in my time of need. Just another reminder of how blessed I am.

My amazing helper ready to leave - thanks Fiona

Tags: friends, not what i had planned

Comments

1

That's sooo nice of her! A much nicer way to spend time waiting is with friends!

  Benita Feb 3, 2013 9:16 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.